* [9fans] joys of java
@ 2004-03-11 18:41 matt
From: matt @ 2004-03-11 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I'm really sorry for the noise but I felt I had to share this

We've got Java viruses now - http://java.com/en/download/help/cache_virus.jsp

Microsoft's buggy VM

matt

* Re: [9fans] joys of java
@ 2004-03-11 19:10 ` David Tolpin
From: David Tolpin @ 2004-03-11 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> From 9fans-admin@cse.psu.edu  Thu Mar 11 22:39:43 2004
> From: matt@proweb.co.uk
> To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
> Subject: [9fans] joys of java
> Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 18:41:51 0000
>
> I'm really sorry for the noise but I felt I had to share this
>
> We've got Java viruses now - http://java.com/en/download/help/cache_virus.jsp
>
> Microsoft's buggy VM

In fact, the viri are not related to Java. If a virus is attached
to ld.com from plan9, it's not a plan9 virus. Bashing java is a nice
way to amuse oneself, but there are more serious reasons to criticize
it than faults of six years old (at least) Microsoft JVM.

David

* Re: [9fans] joys of java
@ 2004-03-11 19:38   ` matt
From: matt @ 2004-03-11 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>In fact, the viri
In fact, viruses.

>not related to Java.
How could an attacker exploit this vulnerability?
An attacker could seek to exploit this vulnerability by creating a malicious Java applet and inserting it into a web page. The web page could then be hosted on a web site, or sent to a user in e-mail.
Impact of vulnerability:
Allow attacker to execute code of his or her choice.

I call that 'related to Java'

> than faults of six years old (at least) Microsoft JVM.

The patch was released in Feb 2003 so for at least 5 years a remotely exploitable JVM was shipped in the world's most installed OS.

I call that 'serious'

* Re: [9fans] joys of java
@ 2004-03-11 21:14 ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2004-03-11 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)