* [9fans] use of ftp considered harmful?
@ 2002-10-20  4:11 andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2002-10-20  4:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

hi, please bear with me for a second...

i'm running into the folowing problem trying to ftp a large file off
my p9 machine -- when i type 'cp myfile /n/ftp' the ftp user level
file server starts writing it into /tmp/ftpXXXXXX. the problem
is that this file takes too long to write (~10 minutes, ~400MB,
yes, p9 is not the fastest kid in the bunch) and by the time
the whole file is written to tmp and ftpfs attempts to actually
put it across to the other side, the ftp connection has timeouted.

do you consider this a desing problem or a consequence of just
how things are in p9?

andrey

* Re: [9fans] use of ftp considered harmful?
@ 2002-10-20  7:25 ` matt
From: matt @ 2002-10-20  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I've had problems with keeping ftp sessions open too

so I use a script to keep some activity going

while (1) {
    echo `{date} > /n/ftp/timestamp
    sleep 30
}

it still doesn't always stay open indefinately but it should help with your
little problem

Matt

> the whole file is written to tmp and ftpfs attempts to actually
> put it across to the other side, the ftp connection has timeouted.

---

* Re: [9fans] use of ftp considered harmful?
@ 2002-10-20  7:27 ` matt
From: matt @ 2002-10-20  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

of course one would need to run that script in the background

: ftpfs ftp.com
: ftpkeepalive &
: cp bigfile /n/ftp

---

* Re: [9fans] use of ftp considered harmful?
@ 2002-10-20 10:22 ` matt
From: matt @ 2002-10-20 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> ftpfs apparently only pings under -k between transfers, not during
> them, which should of course be sufficient.  Who made this crock of an
> ftpd that keeps hanging up on you?

The machine has been replaced actually. I should try it again.

I was trying anything to keep it open as getting acme die with 'i/o channel
hungup' when you press Put and thus losing any edits was annoying

---

* Re: [9fans] use of ftp considered harmful?
@ 2002-10-20  9:41 Geoff Collyer
From: Geoff Collyer @ 2002-10-20  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-10-20  9:26 ` matt
From: matt @ 2002-10-20  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Isn't this what ftpfs -k is for?  (Admittedly, -k isn't mentioned in
> the SYNOPSIS of ftpfs(4), but it is described in the text below.)

true, but also true is
"This command can cause some servers to hangup, so you'll have to feel your
way. "

I still had the connection dropping with -k when I tried it

It would be nice if ftpfs auto re-connected once it dropped

it would also be great if it would take a username & password from the
command line or factotum

you can do

echo 'my_username
my_password' > ftppass

ftpfs ftp.com < ftppass

---

* Re: [9fans] use of ftp considered harmful?
@ 2002-10-20  7:46 Geoff Collyer
From: Geoff Collyer @ 2002-10-20  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans