* RE: [9fans] pcmcia modems
@ 2000-07-20 23:46 presotto
From: presotto @ 2000-07-20 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pdl, 9fans

In my plan9.ini, I have:

serial0=type=com port=0x2e8 irq=9

You may want to use a different irq, up to you.
That's the one xircom's help file recommended.

If you're using ppp, don't use telco.  Ppp just opens
up the modem and lets you type at it.  It's a failure
of vision that I'll fix in some fictional second life.

Run ppp as:

	ip/ppp -ufb 115200 -p '#t'/eia000

and when it wants you to type something, just
go for

	atdt<telephone number>

The carriage return is generated by typing control-m.

I'm about to do a little scripting language or steal someone
else's so that dialing is easier.

The only thing we use telco for is receiving and sending
faxes.  It should figure out the modem type.  If you want to
use it, just

	telco -vs 115200 /dev/eia000 &

somewhere in termrc or cpurc.  After that, any call to
dial() with a string starting with telco! will dial out.

* [9fans] USB floppies: key.c
@ 2000-07-22 13:49 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2000-07-22 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

ahh, now i know why the nvram is on the floppy.

chicken and egg:

    /*
161  *  return offset of first file block
162  *
163  *  This is a very simplistic dos file system.  It only
164  *  works on floppies, only looks in the root, and only
165  *  returns a pointer to the first block of a file.
166  *
167  *  This exists for cpu servers that have no hard disk
168  *  or nvram to store the key on.
169  *
170  *  Please don't make this any smarter: it stays resident
171  *  and I'ld prefer not to waste the space on something that
172  *  runs only at boottime -- presotto.
173  */
174 static long
175 finddosfile(int fd, char *file)

i think i know how to kludge around it.

thanks for the LXR!  at the job i don't have the time to spend
too much time on it.  at home, with my ADSL, i do.

--
Boyd Roberts                            boyd@psycho-basket-case.org

    ``I come over here to kill them cocksuckers, not work for 'em''

          -- Moon Dog, _Pettibone's Law_, John Keene