* [9fans] focus follows mouse
@ 2003-06-29 16:40 D. Brownlee
From: D. Brownlee @ 2003-06-29 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Is that possible?
When using sam or several rc windows
it would be nice not to have to clik-to-focus.

* Re: [9fans] focus follows mouse
@ 2003-06-29 16:54 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2003-06-29 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

acme has 'focus follows mouse' turned on by default. you may want to check
the archives for Rob Pike's reasons not to have it in Rio...

I myself used to complain until I got to play in an entirely Plan 9
environment for a few months. Then coming back to lunix I just modified 9wm
to look more like rio and stuck with it... I rarely even miss virtual
desktops anymore :)

andrey

@ 2003-06-29 17:02   ` rob pike, esq.
From: rob pike, esq. @ 2003-06-29 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> acme has 'focus follows mouse' turned on by default. you may want to check
> the archives for Rob Pike's reasons not to have it in Rio...

everyone in the lab used the window system and was used to its UI.
acme came later and was experimental; not only did it seem wrong to
retrofit, i would have created an angry group of people had i done so.

you can hack rio to do this, but you will have some hard questions to
answer because its UI isn't designed to work this way.  it's a tricky
balance.  when i'm marooned on linux the environment uses 'focus
follows mouse' and i dislike it because the surrounding UI doesn't
really work well with it - and it was designed to!

you can always disable the acme feature with the obscurely named
-b flag.

-rob

* Re: [9fans] focus follows mouse
@ 2003-06-29 17:25   ` D. Brownlee
From: D. Brownlee @ 2003-06-29 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

andrey mirtchovski wrote:
> acme has 'focus follows mouse' turned on by default. you may want to check
> the archives for Rob Pike's reasons not to have it in Rio...
>
> I myself used to complain until I got to play in an entirely Plan 9
> environment for a few months. Then coming back to lunix I just modified 9wm
> to look more like rio and stuck with it... I rarely even miss virtual
> desktops anymore :)
9wm may be a solution; I'll look into it.
It's mostly a problem with old habits.
Once I get a modem working with Plan 9,
I'll me marooned in *BSD/"lunix' less often.
I've looked at some docs from usb.org and it
looks like getting a usb modem to work means
a new usb class driver -- communications class.
I've yet to try U9fs to see whether it will serve the modem.
Time shortage ... the least expensive solution may be an
old-fashioned modem.

* Re: [9fans] focus follows mouse
@ 2003-06-29 17:39     ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2003-06-29 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i trained myself to cope with this nonsense, which was a really bad
thing to learn.  should you bump, nudge or otherwise move the
mouse your characters wind up in /dev/null or worse still, in a
window that _didn't really like them_ -- especially if it was a
window with something running as root.

with click to type you _know_ exactly where the chars are going to go.

acme is a different model, so i can see the reasoning why it
behaves like it does.

* Re: [9fans] focus follows mouse
@ 2003-06-29 17:41     ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2003-06-29 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003, D. Brownlee wrote:

> 9wm may be a solution; I'll look into it.

there are many offshoots of 9wm, some adding virtual desktops, color
schemes, whatnot. however since 9wm was written to emulate 8.5 everything
that came out of 9wm looks like 8.5.

the one that I hacked has the same color scheme (black/white) but i've
modified the mouse pointer, added 'swipe to create a new window',
changed the behaviour of the  Move (still no 'grab the border of the window
and resize' though), all made to look and behave like rio...

I don't use 9term.

here's the url:

	http://pages.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/~mirtchov/ports/9wm-1.2.tar.gz

andrey

* Re: [9fans] focus follows mouse
@ 2003-06-29 18:04     ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2003-06-29 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I've yet to try U9fs to see whether it will serve the modem.

Almost certainly it won't.  While you might be able to get u9fs to show
you the device file on the Unix side, the communications model is
different, and you won't have access to the ioctl's and so forth to set
the modem's parameters.  Going the other way around, plan 9 won't be
able to see the ctl and status files it expects.

You might be able to get lucky and set the parameters on both sides
statically, but obviously that's an imperfect solution.  Your best bet
at this point would probably just be to buy a regular modem and hook it
up to a spare RS-232 port.  Of course, I wouldn't mind seeing support
for a few more USB devices, so if you're interested in doing the work
to get the modem class supported, then by all means, have at it.  :-)

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] focus follows mouse
@ 2003-06-29 20:24 markp
From: markp @ 2003-06-29 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

| I've yet to try U9fs to see whether it will serve the modem.

I get a roughly equivalent effect by using sshnet to import the network
from a linux or netbsd machine with a modem on it. I haven't tried
anything like 9fs over it but it works nicely for reading mail and the
like.

---mp