* [9fans] Reliable Cray Y-MP C90 Supercomputer
@ 2000-09-03 21:51 James A. Robinson
From: James A. Robinson @ 2000-09-03 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

I wonder if the Bell Labs folks ever considered porting
the CPU server code to something like one of these?

  http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=426080142

=)

* Re: [9fans] Reliable Cray Y-MP C90 Supercomputer
@ 2000-09-06  7:22 ` Nigel Roles
From: Nigel Roles @ 2000-09-06  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I wonder if you have to sign an NDA to get the details on it's vga
card?

@ 2000-09-06  7:25 ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2000-09-06  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sun, Sep 03, 2000 at 02:51:59PM -0700, James A. Robinson wrote:

> I wonder if the Bell Labs folks ever considered porting
> the CPU server code to something like one of these?
>
>   http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=426080142

And then, as suggested here a while back, make the thing publicly
accessible.  The power consumption of such a beast has got to be
phenomenal.  But maybe the NSF will fund it?

++L <nice footwarmer for 9-fans!>

* Re: [9fans] Reliable Cray Y-MP C90 Supercomputer
@ 2000-09-06 20:36   ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2000-09-06 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

From: Lucio De Re <lucio@proxima.alt.za>

> The power consumption of such a beast has got to be
> phenomenal.

and the maintenance?  it's gonna break one day.

* Re: [9fans] Reliable Cray Y-MP C90 Supercomputer
@ 2000-09-06 22:14     ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2000-09-06 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

From: James A. Robinson <jim.robinson@stanford.edu>

> I bet it was Penn and Teller...

no, but they were around.  i got this immortal quote from
lou reed, thanks to rob and penn:

    always go for overkill

rawb, you and your aussie friends...

* Re: [9fans] Reliable Cray Y-MP C90 Supercomputer
@ 2000-09-06 22:11   ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2000-09-06 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

From: rob pike <rob@plan9.bell-labs.com>

> That's fluorinert all right.  But it wasn't me.
>
> -rob

oh yes it was, rob.  i remember.
'round the time you were writing acme IIRC.

and yes, i remember the car ride back from ny with bob.
not one of the cleverest things i'd done...

* Re: [9fans] Reliable Cray Y-MP C90 Supercomputer
@ 2000-09-06 22:02   ` James A. Robinson
From: James A. Robinson @ 2000-09-06 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > well you i told you not too.  and it didn't feel like water and
> > it wasn't coffee.  so what was it?  i believe it came in 18x18x18"
> > clear(ish) plastic containers.  does that refresh your memory?
>
> That's fluorinert all right.  But it wasn't me.
>
> -rob

I bet it was Penn and Teller...
(http://www.sincity.com/penn-n-teller/wired-penn.html)

* Re: [9fans] Reliable Cray Y-MP C90 Supercomputer
@ 2000-09-06 21:59 ` rob pike
From: rob pike @ 2000-09-06 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2000-09-06 21:52 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2000-09-06 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

From: rob pike <rob@plan9.bell-labs.com>

@ 2000-09-06 21:47 rob pike
From: rob pike @ 2000-09-06 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2000-09-06 21:45 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2000-09-06 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

From: <jmk@plan9.bell-labs.com>

> We used to have our own Cray, it lived in a room 3 doors down the corridor
> from my office (still called 'the Cray room'.

yeah, i remember rob pouring flourinert all over my hands.

maybe that's called 'doing a rob' :-)

* Re: [9fans] Reliable Cray Y-MP C90 Supercomputer
@ 2000-09-06 13:09 jmk
From: jmk @ 2000-09-06 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

James A. Robinson <jim.robinson@stanford.edu>:

	I wonder if the Bell Labs folks ever considered porting
	the CPU server code to something like one of these?

	  http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=426080142

We used to have our own Cray, it lived in a room 3 doors down the corridor
from my office (still called 'the Cray room'). That room is now filled with
a jumble of Pathstar development hardware, but all the power and cooling
is still there.