* [9fans] what's the plan9 / inferno job market like
@ 2001-01-10 16:44 matt heath
From: matt heath @ 2001-01-10 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I've been made redundant thanks to the idiots upstairs gambling on our share
price
(did a deal they couldn't finance and now they've got to sell the company).

I'm fed up of web sites and would like to work on real projects

I want to get as far away from Windows as I can so of course as a 9 fan I
want to go in the plan9 / Inferno direction but I have to ask myself how
difficult or easy it will it be getting work.

There are about 100 different regular posters to this group so I'm guessing
that my potential plan9 employer base is pretty small.

So what do the commercial plan9 people round here think my chances are - not
based on my skill but on the distribution of plan9 based development houses.

And what about inferno?

I live in Nottingham UK.

My op was cancelled btw - the drawback of public health provision

Matt

* Re: [9fans] what's the plan9 / inferno job market like
@ 2001-01-10 17:03 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-01-10 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

yeah, well i'd be up for plan 9 / inferno work in
the USA or australia.  there's some plan that
there's a job in 118, but i've had precious
little feedback.  i'd like to do some development
with something interesting, rather than this nonsense
i do in france;  one day i was paid to type two
chmod's.  that was the only thing i did all day.

i'm gonna get outa here before april, cos i'm
sick of the country [france] and the lousy
contracts.

i can type a mean chmod, though :-(

* Re: [9fans] what's the plan9 / inferno job market like
@ 2001-01-19 13:05 ` Michael Jeffrey
From: Michael Jeffrey @ 2001-01-19 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

We have a large customer in Southern USA who
is looking to hire Inferno engineers anyone interested
should contact me directly and I will put you in touch.

Michael Jeffrey

michael@vitanuova.com

* Re: [9fans] what's the plan9 / inferno job market like
@ 2001-01-20  0:37 geoff
From: geoff @ 2001-01-20  0:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Southern USA as in California?

* Re: [9fans] what's the plan9 / inferno job market like
@ 2001-01-17  9:35 ` Bengt Kleberg
From: Bengt Kleberg @ 2001-01-17  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In article <4.3.2.7.2.20010116232310.00ceda20@nutmeg.x.Bell-Labs.com>,
9fans@cse.psu.edu wrote:

> One data point on the commercial Plan 9 & Inferno job market:
>
> As some of you have heard, there's a project here at
> Bell Labs called PathStar, located just down the hall
> from the Research folks responsible for Plan 9 & Inferno,
> in Murray Hill, NJ, US.
....deleted

Anything else avaliable. In the Stockholm, Sweden, area?

* Re: [9fans] what's the plan9 / inferno job market like
@ 2001-01-17  5:54 Paul C Lustgarten
From: Paul C Lustgarten @ 2001-01-17  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

One data point on the commercial Plan 9 & Inferno job market:

As some of you have heard, there's a project here at
Bell Labs called PathStar, located just down the hall
from the Research folks responsible for Plan 9 & Inferno,
in Murray Hill, NJ, US.  In fact, the project is a spin-out
from that organization and they've given us a lot of help
along the way.

We are an actual product development organization
(complete with system test, customer documentation,
product management, MRs, schedules, etc), with product
in the field.  The PathStar Access Server is a converged
voice/data switch, providing Class 5 local-access telephony
service (both POTS and VoIP on DSL or cable) along with IP
routing, DHCP, etc.  We've been in the market for over a year
now, and *still* have no direct competitors.  The PathStar is
the first new Class 5 switch to be developed from scratch by
Lucent since the industry-leading and corporate flagship
5ESS product line was launched in 1982 (which, interestingly
enough, and in a radical gamble on then-new technology,
used the just-recently-released-from-Research system
called "UNIX" as its development environment and as
the base for its internal admin processor - and, eventually,
as the base for hoards of related support systems.).

Our development environment is Plan 9; we use (native)
Inferno in the main admin processor within the product
and in its call processor board and (emu) Inferno for the
remote craft interface; the other network interface cards
(PRI, DS3/ATM, SS7, 100baseFX, etc.) all use a derivative
of the Plan 9 file server kernel (LCOS) with appropriate
protocol drivers added.

Our business goal is not developing Plan 9 and Inferno
per se, but we're obviously heavily involved with it.
In fact, up to now we've been blessed with doing most
of our software development on the Research machines;
a few of us are now working to procure and bring up a
separate Plan 9 file & CPU server cluster dedicated to
the product team needs, so we can stop mooching off them.
I spend my days in a Microsoft-free (and UNIX-free) zone (!),
although some in the project haven't quite let go of the
past that thoroughly.  (Good thing we have drawterm!)
Probably the majority of our code is written in C;
the rest is in Limbo.

We've been hiring developers fairly consistently over the
life of the project - Plan 9 and Inferno experience a plus!
I expect this will continue (the project's still young yet,
as such things go) - subject, as always, to the vagaries
of the budget winds from month to month.  Anyone who
wants to know more can contact me directly.

        Paul
        +1 908 582 7544
        plus@Bell-Labs.Com

@ 2001-01-10 18:28 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-01-10 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kim kubik; +Cc: 9fans

> Hey, I'll go to France to type chmod's - umask's
> even, I'm not particular . . . Can you drink wine
> on the job?

at lunch it is legal -- you have the right.  in the
office, no, except for when there's 'un pot' [a drink
for some random reason]; they happen fairly frequently.

i was in one job where my group had an office bottle
of whisky, which got opened whenever necessary.  that
was not legal and was stopped.  we were also 'strongly
discouraged' from drinking during lunch.

i took a dim view of the later, 'cos i like a couple
of glasses of red with lunch.  so, i exercised my
right.  of course, had i been an employee, i would
have got a bad write up at the end of the year, by
the manager who 'strongly discouraged' it.

this was worded as 'no drinking at lunch' during
the meeting and got toned down in the minutes, as
the 'order' was not legal.

btw: the office bottle of whisky was not instigated
     by me.  it did have a certain, dangerous appeal,
     though :-)

* Re: [9fans] what's the plan9 / inferno job market like
@ 2001-01-10 18:01 kim kubik
From: kim kubik @ 2001-01-10 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Boyd Roberts, 9fans

>with something interesting, rather than this nonsense
>i do in france;  one day i was paid to type two
>chmod's.  that was the only thing i did all day.

Hey, I'll go to France to type chmod's - umask's
even, I'm not particular . . . Can you drink wine
on the job?

 - kim