* Re: [9fans] plan9port: recent changes
@ 2005-02-14 15:13 Aharon Robbins
From: Aharon Robbins @ 2005-02-14 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > > Lots of little changes in the past week or so: autoindent for sam,
> >
> > Aren't you risking excommunication for this?
>
> Rob and I almost made it always on instead of
> a flag but we feared a mass exodus.
>
> Russ

Well, if you've got Rob helping you, who am I to cry "heresy"? :-)

Arnold

P.S. Besides, I know Boyd will do it for me. ;-)

* Re: [9fans] plan9port: recent changes
@ 2005-02-14 17:41 ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2005-02-14 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> P.S. Besides, I know Boyd will do it for me. ;-)

it used to annoy the shit out me, but i rationalised it:

    tab is a pretty big key and i can type it pretty quickly
    and i'm not gonna pollute the editor with that junk.

that's pretty small beer compared to hacking /sys/src/cmd/cc/macbody with drawterm _across the atlantic_.
--
MGRS 31U DQ 52572 12604

* Re: [9fans] plan9port: recent changes
@ 2005-02-14 14:53 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-02-14 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2005-02-14 11:27 Aharon Robbins
From: Aharon Robbins @ 2005-02-14 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Lots of little changes in the past week or so: autoindent for sam,

Aren't you risking excommunication for this?

:-) :-)

Keep up the good work!

* [9fans] plan9port: recent changes
@ 2005-02-14  0:41 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-02-14  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Lots of little changes in the past week or so: autoindent for sam,
better label handling in awd et al., new diff flags -c and -a,
various stack overflow fixes (*cough* X11 *cough*), programs
should work better with SIGTSTP, SIGTTIN, and SIGTTOU,
lots of little bug fixes.

The big new additions are factotum and various supporting
libraries and programs.

Thanks to Lucho, plan9port now has a working factotum
that can be used with 9p to access files on protected servers:

	ibook=; factotum
	ibook=; sources='tcp!sources.cs.bell-labs.com!9fs'
	ibook=; 9p -a $sources read plan9/adm/users

	!adding key: role=client proto=p9sk1 dom=outside.plan9.bell-labs.com
	user[rsc]: bozo
	password:
	!
	-1:adm:adm:bootes
	0:none:adm:
	1:tor:tor:
	2:glenda:glenda:
	9999:noworld::
	10000:sys::
	10001:upas:upas:
	10002:bootes:bootes:
	ibook=; 9p -a $sources read plan9/NOTICE
	Copyright © 2002 Lucent Technologies Inc.
	All Rights Reserved
	ibook=;

Over the weekend I added DSA and RSA signature support
to factotum and used them to implement an ssh-agent front
end for factotum:

	l=; factotum
	secstore password:
	l=; eval `{9 ssh-agent}
	l=; ssh tux
	tux=; ^D
	l=;

It's hard to see, but ssh used factotum via the ssh-agent
interface to authenticate to tux.  Also hard to see is the fact
that this is using SSH version 2 keys (SSH1 is also supported),
so this setup is ahead of Plan 9.

(Sadly, it's not too easy to move the DSA and RSA support back
into Plan 9, firstly due to the lack of an SSH2 client.  Also the
factotum is completely different--simpler--inside.)

Enjoy.
Russ