* [9fans] german keyboard map ?
@ 2004-04-09 23:53 Scusi
From: Scusi @ 2004-04-09 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

hi 9fans,

my plan9 computer is a IBM T20 with a german keyboard. i would like to have
the keyboard mapped proper. i found the kbmap(2,3) manpages. but when i try to
execute kbmap i just get a "bin/kbmap: file not found" back. also searching for
kbmap with "du -a | grep kbmap" brought up nothing looked like a executable
binary, but the source though. It also looks like there is no german keymap
by default in /sys/lib/kbmap.

Can someone please point me in the right direction.

thx in advance /~scusi

* Re: [9fans] german keyboard map ?
@ 2004-04-10  0:08 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-04-10  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

kbmap isn't compiled on sources, you'll have to do it yourself:

	% cd /sys/src/cmd
	% mk kbmap.install

you need to have the appropriate permissions to do it, of course.

as for a german keyboard -- there doesn't appear to be a mapping at
the moment.  feel free to create one :)

andrey

@ 2004-04-10  0:14 ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2004-04-10  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> execute kbmap i just get a "bin/kbmap: file not found" back.

it's not an executable, it's a file in /dev which you cat one of:

    brahma% pwd
    /n/sources/plan9/sys
    brahma% ls -l lib/kbmap
    --rw-rw-r-- M 1916609 presotto sys 23680 Mar 25 07:54 lib/kbmap/ascii
    --rw-r--r-- M 1916609 presotto sys   735 Mar 16 16:50 lib/kbmap/azerty
    --rw-rw-r-- M 1916609 presotto sys   561 Mar 16 17:23 lib/kbmap/bgmap
    --rw-r--r-- M 1916609 presotto sys   429 Mar 25 08:43 lib/kbmap/ee
    --rw-rw-r-- M 1916609 presotto sys  1360 Mar 17 09:57 lib/kbmap/es
    --rw-rw-r-- M 1916609 presotto sys   369 Mar 18 08:41 lib/kbmap/fi
    --rw-rw-r-- M 1916609 presotto sys    55 Mar 16 16:50 lib/kbmap/uk

onto, to change the map.

they're easy to write, just look at the examples.

* Re: [9fans] german keyboard map ?
@ 2004-04-10  0:17   ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2004-04-10  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

oh, there's a program too.  hmm, news to me.

* Re: [9fans] german keyboard map ?
@ 2004-04-10  0:23   ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-04-10  0:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> execute kbmap i just get a "bin/kbmap: file not found" back.
>
> it's not an executable, it's a file in /dev which you cat one of:

there's actually an executable too, kbmap(1), which allows you to
switch between keyboards via a gui.

andrey

* Re: [9fans] german keyboard map ?
@ 2004-04-10  0:24     ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2004-04-10  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> there's actually an executable too, kbmap(1), which allows you to
> switch between keyboards via a gui.

i still prefer cat :)

* Re: [9fans] german keyboard map ?
@ 2004-04-10  0:49   ` Scusi
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Scusi @ 2004-04-10  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

hi 9fans,

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 18:08:41 -0600
andrey mirtchovski <mirtchov@cpsc.ucalgary.ca> wrote:

> kbmap isn't compiled on sources, you'll have to do it yourself:

O.K. that was easy, and worked.
But i can't get the device file working right. kbmap say:
"can not open /dev/kbmap: file does not exist"

> as for a german keyboard -- there doesn't appear to be a mapping at
> the moment.  feel free to create one :)

will do, but how i find out about the keycodes of my keyboard, to get
the mapping right. is there something on plan9 that does what "xev" does
on unices ?

What stands this unicode character (03ba) in the kbmap(3) manpage for ?

thx ~/scusi

* Re: [9fans] german keyboard map ?
@ 2004-04-10  0:49     ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2004-04-10  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> But i can't get the device file working right. kbmap say:
> "can not open /dev/kbmap: file does not exist"

you'll have to recompile your kernel & reboot.  searches the archives.

* Re: [9fans] german keyboard map ?
@ 2004-04-10  0:59     ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-04-10  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> O.K. that was easy, and worked.
> But i can't get the device file working right. kbmap say:
> "can not open /dev/kbmap: file does not exist"

it's a device you need to bind to dev, the device is named '#κ' (greek
small letter kappa), you can either generate it by 'alt+*+k' or pick
it up from /lib/keyboard:

	% bind -ac '#κ' /dev
	% kbmap

after you've convinced yourself that it works you can put it in
/rc/bin/termrc and /rc/bin/cpurc...

> will do, but how i find out about the keycodes of my keyboard, to get
> the mapping right. is there something on plan9 that does what "xev" does
> on unices ?

it'll suffice to list all the different glyphs that should be
generated by the different keyboard keys..  starting with 'ascii' and
substituting is probably a good idea, or you can look the key
correspondance in X, or on the web...

> What stands this unicode character (03ba) in the kbmap(3) manpage for ?

"greek small letter kappa", check /lib/keyboard or see the unicode command...

> thx ~/scusi

andrey

* Re: [9fans] german keyboard map ?
@ 2004-04-10  1:00     ` boyd, rounin