* Re: [9fans] GCC 3.0 for Plan 9
@ 2002-08-27  8:20 Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2002-08-27  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

that can and has been done by using the Plan 9 compilers
as cross-compilers for Plan 9 running on some other system.
(in fact, i used the Inferno suite on Solaris and FreeBSD,
since that suite has the portability libraries, but it's the same idea.)
Plan 9's use of processors is not always the same as gcc's,
which tends for understandable reasons to keep to whatever
ABIs have been defined for those platforms.  (sometimes
there are several per platform.) Plan 9 often has its own view.
the supporting libraries (most obviously <thread.h>), and certainly
the kernel, sometimes know what it is, so that gcc's code
is not always suitable, generating different calling and
register usage conventions for instance.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 3055 bytes --]

From: "Roman V. Shaposhnick" <vugluskr@unicorn.math.spbu.ru>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] GCC 3.0 for Plan 9
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 08:57:14 +0400

David,

don't you by any chance have GCC available in a cross-platform mode, where one
can develop Plan9 applications on some UNIX brand ?

Thanks,
Roman.

On Fri, Aug 23, 2002 at 06:21:53PM -0400, David Gordon Hogan wrote:
> I'm making the Plan 9 port of GCC (and related utilities) available to
> the public.  There are still some problems with the distribution, but
> it's a start.
>
> There are three gzipped tar files:
>
> 1.	/n/sources/extra/gnubin.tgz
> 2.	/n/sources/extra/ape.tgz
> 3.	http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/dhog/gnusrc.tgz
>
> The first one should be unpacked in the root of your Plan 9 system in
> order to install the various binaries, libraries etc in the required
> system locations.  It's 386 only, that's all that works at this stage.
>
> The second contains the sources of a port of the APE libraries which
> works with GCC.  APE is distributed under the terms of the Plan 9
> License.  It should be unpacked into /sys/src/gnu/ape.
>
> The third archive is a snapshot of the sources used to build GCC et
> al.  It's in a slightly unkempt state.  Consult the README file for
> more details.  It should be unpacked into /sys/src/gnu.  GCC,
> Binutils, and the other files in the third archive are distributed in
> accordance with the GPL.
>
> The first two archives are also available via the Plan 9 updates page,
>
> 	http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9dist/ureg.html

* Re: [9fans] GCC 3.0 for Plan 9
@ 2002-08-26 15:50 David Gordon Hogan
From: David Gordon Hogan @ 2002-08-26 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> don't you by any chance have GCC available in a cross-platform mode, where one
> can develop Plan9 applications on some UNIX brand ?

I have IRIX and Solaris binaries.  Is there any interest in these?  I could
tar them up and make them available if so.

If you're genuinely trying to develop `Plan 9 applications', then you're
better off using the native compiler.  But if you're interested in porting
something from Unix-land (like GCC ;-), then GCC may be useful.

* Re: [9fans] GCC 3.0 for Plan 9
@ 2002-08-26  4:57 ` Roman V. Shaposhnick
From: Roman V. Shaposhnick @ 2002-08-26  4:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans