* [9fans] open-forge
@ 2003-02-14 21:14 ` John Stalker
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: John Stalker @ 2003-02-14 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

open-forge.org is pingable but refuses connections on port 80.  It didn't
always.  netcraft shows it as running Apache on Suse, but no uptime data.
If anyone else is curious, I was, you can see most of it in Google's cache.
I'm not going to comment one way or the other about the contents, as I don't
enjoy being flamed.
--
John Stalker
Department of Mathematics

* Re: [9fans] open-forge
@ 2003-02-14 21:16   ` Scott Schwartz
From: Scott Schwartz @ 2003-02-14 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Good grief!  Is it really necessary to go on and on about this?

* Re: [9fans] open-forge
@ 2003-02-14 21:23   ` Dan Cross
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Dan Cross @ 2003-02-14 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Okay, so let me get this straight; the guy who provides his web site
in reponse to the question, ``why run Plan 9 instead of Linux/*BSD?''
is running his site off of Linux?  Wow, that makes a *lot* of sense.
Hey Choad, is this community stagnation?

Netcraft says:

``We cannot tell you anything about this server, and have ignored it.''

I suggest the same for most Plan 9 users.  Unless you're a geek and want
to help Choad fix it, since he clearly can't do it himself.  It's been
down for over an hour.

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] open-forge
@ 2003-02-14 21:25     ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2003-02-14 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Good grief!  Is it really necessary to go on and on about this?

Absolutely!  It's amazing what a couple of bottles of wine will do
for your prolificness as a writer.  Despite that, I still manage
a reasonable approximation to proper grammar.

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] open-forge
@ 2003-02-14 21:46     ` Phil White
From: Phil White @ 2003-02-14 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 04:23:43PM -0500, Dan Cross wrote:
> Okay, so let me get this straight; the guy who provides his web site
> in reponse to the question, ``why run Plan 9 instead of Linux/*BSD?''
> is running his site off of Linux?  Wow, that makes a *lot* of sense.
> Hey Choad, is this community stagnation?

No, it's community infighting because one of its members apparently
thinks it's productive.  You're making a much better case for your
removal from the list than Jim in my estimation.

> I suggest the same for most Plan 9 users.  Unless you're a geek and want
> to help Choad fix it, since he clearly can't do it himself.  It's been
> down for over an hour.

So might I ask when you'll have your own plan 9 site up?  As near as I
can tell, your plan 9 website has been down for an infinite amount of
time.

Don't bother trying to pull me into a flame war, by the way.  I'm not
wasting my time with further replies to you.

-Phil/CERisE

* Re: [9fans] open-forge
@ 2003-02-14 22:16     ` matt
From: matt @ 2003-02-14 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

my ISP [ntl] actually returns a document that starts

Last Edited: 05/05/2002
Open Forge is a work in progress. Expect change, refresh your browser often.

using a better ISP :

Making HTTP connection to open-forge.org
Alert!: Unable to connect to remote host.

lynx: Can't access startfile http://open-forge.org/

* Re: [9fans] open-forge
@ 2003-02-14 23:23       ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2003-02-14 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > Okay, so let me get this straight; the guy who provides his web site
> > in reponse to the question, ``why run Plan 9 instead of Linux/*BSD?''
> > is running his site off of Linux?  Wow, that makes a *lot* of sense.
> > Hey Choad, is this community stagnation?
>
> No, it's community infighting because one of its members apparently
> thinks it's productive.

I think that Jim Choate would take exception to being labeled part of
the 9fans community.  He's tried *very* hard to distance himself from
that community.

> You're making a much better case for your
> removal from the list than Jim in my estimation.

How's that?  Because I object to the ramblings of an obvious polemist?

Look, you said you're relatively new to the list.  May I suggest you
look at the archives before interjecting yourself into an argument
involving Choate?

> > I suggest the same for most Plan 9 users.  Unless you're a geek and want
> > to help Choad fix it, since he clearly can't do it himself.  It's been
> > down for over an hour.
>
> So might I ask when you'll have your own plan 9 site up?  As near as I
> can tell, your plan 9 website has been down for an infinite amount of
> time.

I'm writing this under Plan 9 right now.  I wasn't aware that ``web sites''
were the only function of the system.

> Don't bother trying to pull me into a flame war, by the way.  I'm not
> wasting my time with further replies to you.

Thanks.

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] open-forge
@ 2003-02-14 23:28         ` northern snowfall
From: northern snowfall @ 2003-02-14 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

"When 9fans Attack" - FOX2 Detroit @10:00pm EST
Moderated by Montel Williams.

* [9fans] Re: open-forge
@ 2003-02-15  0:03   ` Jim Choate
From: Jim Choate @ 2003-02-15  0:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri, 14 Feb 2003, John Stalker wrote:

> open-forge.org is pingable but refuses connections on port 80.  It didn't
> always.

It didn't always what? I suspect it's because Apache isn't back up yet.
There was storm damage upstream yesterday (of some sort) and I'm not sure of
status. I'll check on it later tonite and get it back up. It's not where I
am so I can't do maintenance on it quickly (not my job anyway).

> I'm not going to comment one way or the other about the contents, as I don't
> enjoy being flamed.

Wimp.

      We are all interested in the future for that is where you and I
      are going to spend the rest of our lives.

                              Criswell, "Plan 9 from Outer Space"

      ravage@ssz.com                            jchoate@open-forge.org
      www.ssz.com                               www.open-forge.org

* [9fans] Re: open-forge
@ 2003-02-15  0:06     ` Jim Choate
From: Jim Choate @ 2003-02-15  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans; +Cc: hangar18-general, hell

On Fri, 14 Feb 2003, Dan Cross wrote:

> Okay, so let me get this straight; the guy who provides his web site
> in reponse to the question, ``why run Plan 9 instead of Linux/*BSD?''
> is running his site off of Linux?

Yep, and it isn't 'my site' (my site is SSZ and it also runs off Linux).

OS bigots we are not. I suspect we've got about a dozen OS'es cranked up
right now on various machines.

> Wow, that makes a *lot* of sense.

Actually it does, once you get over your hurt feelings.

> Hey Choad, is this community stagnation?

How childish.

> to help Choad fix it, since he clearly can't do it himself.  It's been
> down for over an hour.

Dan, you're a putz and a perfect example of the problem with this end of
the community.

      We are all interested in the future for that is where you and I
      are going to spend the rest of our lives.

                              Criswell, "Plan 9 from Outer Space"

      ravage@ssz.com                            jchoate@open-forge.org
      www.ssz.com                               www.open-forge.org

* Re: [9fans] Re: open-forge
@ 2003-02-15 16:26       ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2003-02-15 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans; +Cc: hangar18-general, hell

> Dan, you're a putz and a perfect example of the problem with this end of
> the community.

Okay, Jim, I'll throw you an olive branch.

We all know what you find wrong with, ``this end of the community.''
You've stated that pretty clearly.  But what I don't understand is what
you'd like to see this end of the community turn into?  Could you
please explain that?  Now, I'm really curious, so I'm really asking.

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] Re: open-forge
@ 2003-02-25 23:48         ` Jim Choate
From: Jim Choate @ 2003-02-25 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans; +Cc: hangar18-general, hell

On Sat, 15 Feb 2003, Dan Cross wrote:

> > Dan, you're a putz and a perfect example of the problem with this end of
> > the community.
>
> Okay, Jim, I'll throw you an olive branch.
>
> We all know what you find wrong with, ``this end of the community.''
> You've stated that pretty clearly.  But what I don't understand is what
> you'd like to see this end of the community turn into?  Could you
> please explain that?  Now, I'm really curious, so I'm really asking.

Sorry for the long delay, I'm buried...

First off, I'm not saying anyone should turn into anything.

I've simply made some observations that I've passed along. In fact I
recently sent a -specific- list of nine (9) specific issues.

If you don't understand that there isn't anything more I can do.

Take care.