* [9fans] fossil dies?
@ 2007-10-12  9:58 Yaroslav
From: Yaroslav @ 2007-10-12  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Gentlemen,

  After compiling and booting 9pccpuf kernel the machine started to hang
  during execution of certain commands -- "man -P ..." is an example.
  The stats(1)' memory graph displays a lot of memory is suddenly freed. No
  commands can be run after the point.

  I guess the fossil dies, please correct me if I'm wrong.

  Any suggestions why it may happen are appresiated.

Thank you.

P.S. No venti is configured (if this matters).

Yaroslav.

* Re: [9fans] fossil dies?
@ 2007-10-12 14:10 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2007-10-12 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>   After compiling and booting 9pccpuf kernel the machine started to hang
>   during execution of certain commands -- "man -P ..." is an example.
>   The stats(1)' memory graph displays a lot of memory is suddenly freed. No
>   commands can be run after the point.
>
>   I guess the fossil dies, please correct me if I'm wrong.

from the information given, it's impossible to say.  is there anything
printed on the console about the time the machine enters casters-up
mode?

- erik

* Re: [9fans] fossil dies?
@ 2007-10-14  4:39 ` sqweek
From: sqweek @ 2007-10-14  4:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 10/12/07, Yaroslav <yarikos@gmail.com> wrote:
> Gentlemen,
>
>   After compiling and booting 9pccpuf kernel the machine started to hang
>   during execution of certain commands -- "man -P ..." is an example.
>   The stats(1)' memory graph displays a lot of memory is suddenly freed. No
>   commands can be run after the point.
>
>   I guess the fossil dies, please correct me if I'm wrong.
>
>   Any suggestions why it may happen are appresiated.

 How much RAM do you have? man -P takes out my lil' 24MB box.
-sqweek

* Re: [9fans] fossil dies?
@ 2007-10-14 16:54   ` geoff
From: geoff @ 2007-10-14 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

`man -P' running small machines out of memory is probably due to its
use of ghostscript, which seems to often use 10MB or more.  I use
`man -p' instead.

* Re: [9fans] fossil dies?
@ 2007-10-15  7:59   ` Yaroslav
From: Yaroslav @ 2007-10-15  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

2007/10/14, sqweek <sqweek@gmail.com>:

>  How much RAM do you have? man -P takes out my lil' 24MB box.
> -sqweek

I have 64MB on the box. However, the reason of the fault was out of
memory condition.
I was wondered that there was no swap configured in cpurc (termrc do have this).
Copying lines which configure swap from termrc to cpurc have solved the problem.

Thanks to everybody,
    Yaroslav.

* Re: [9fans] fossil dies?
@ 2007-10-15 12:50     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2007-10-15 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I have 64MB on the box. However, the reason of the fault was out of
> memory condition.
> I was wondered that there was no swap configured in cpurc (termrc do have this).
> Copying lines which configure swap from termrc to cpurc have solved the problem.
>
> Thanks to everybody,
>     Yaroslav.

it would probablly be more efficient to have fossil open the filesystem with
a smaller cache instead of swapping the cache.

since plan 9 currently overcommits memory, fossil should probablly try to dirty
each page it its cache on startup to prevent nasty suprises later on.
it might even detect pagefaults and adjust its cache accordingly.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] fossil dies?
@ 2007-10-15 12:56     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2007-10-15 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I have 64MB on the box. However, the reason of the fault was out of
> memory condition.
> I was wondered that there was no swap configured in cpurc (termrc do have this).
> Copying lines which configure swap from termrc to cpurc have solved the problem.
>
> Thanks to everybody,
>     Yaroslav.

i am currently using an underpowered machine like this with ken's fileserver and
the fact that it's a special kernel is a boon for stability.  the fs doesn't overcommit
memory or even use dynamic allocation.

- erik

* RE: [9fans] fossil dies?
@ 2007-10-23  9:47 Bituman