* [9fans] Boot Error (more)
@ 2002-05-23 18:48 Mark Bitting
From: Mark Bitting @ 2002-05-23 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I reentered the installation procedure, and made a boot floppy.  Everything
boots fine from the floppy, but booting from the hard drive still fails with
the I/O error.  Any ideas on how to fix it, or should I just keep the floppy
in all the time?

* Re: [9fans] Boot Error (more)
@ 2002-05-24 18:14 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-05-24 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The source is in /sys/src/cmd/wikifs.
Have fun.

* Re: [9fans] Boot Error (more)
@ 2002-05-23 21:26 ` Mark Bitting
From: Mark Bitting @ 2002-05-23 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The simple use is the main reason why I dl'ed Plan 9, it's the nicest wiki
I've ever seen.  (The adventure in Plan 9 is a bonus)  The non-computer types
can use it, unlike some wikis that require a masters in CompSci to use.  Any
hints on where I could go to butcher the code to add an image tag would be
appreciated.

Mark

On Thursday 23 May 2002 16:48, you wrote:
> There is (intentionally) no way to put images
> on the wiki.  The reason I didn't use one of the
> common wiki packages was I wanted something
> that could be easily edited and viewed both on
> the web and in Plan 9 (meaning acme, as it turned
> out), so it's only text.  That's the reason the
> markup is so simple -- acme users see exactly
> what the HTML edit box shows.
>
> Russ

* Re: [9fans] Boot Error (more)
@ 2002-05-23 20:48 rsc
From: rsc @ 2002-05-23 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-05-23 20:42 ` Mark Bitting
From: Mark Bitting @ 2002-05-23 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thursday 23 May 2002 16:17, you wrote:
> if this is a particularly old computer,
> perhaps it would work better to use
>
> 	disk/format -b /386/pbs /dev/sdC0/9fat

Same old same old... the box is only about a year and a half old.  I have an
antique Dell P166 that works fine, running a wiki from a basic terminal
configuration.  I wanted to set this box up properly and move the wiki to it.
 Looks like the floppy is gonna be a permanent fixture, if it'll work for a
cpu server, cool, I can live with it.  I'm not going to be rebooting it
often, it'll just be running forever serving an httpd wiki.  (and is there
any way to put images on the wiki pages?)

* Re: [9fans] Boot Error (more)
@ 2002-05-23 20:17 rsc
From: rsc @ 2002-05-23 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

if this is a particularly old computer,
perhaps it would work better to use

	disk/format -b /386/pbs /dev/sdC0/9fat

i was thinking that maybe your plan 9
partition was too far into the disk, but
it's the only thing on the disk, so that's
not it.

russ

* Re: [9fans] Boot Error (more)
@ 2002-05-23 20:15 ` Mark Bitting
From: Mark Bitting @ 2002-05-23 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Still no joy...

> then at a shell prompt type
>
> 	disk/format -b /386/pbslba /dev/sdC0/9fat

used 0 bytes

> -b flag.)  I'd be interested in the output of
>
> 	cat /dev/sdC0/ctl

inquiry WDC WD100EB-00BHF0
config 427A capabilities 2F00 dma 00550004 dmactl 00000000 rwm 16 rwmctl 0
geometry 19541088 512 16383 16 63
part data 0 19541088
part plan9 63 10535040
part 9fat 63 20545
part fs 20545 19478560
part swap 19478560 19535040

(before and after reformat)

I tried it a second time after a disk/kfscmd allow, and got the "used 0
bytes" message again, also did the mbr thing again, it still won't boot from
the hard drive.  More hd info from the bios output:
Cyl   19386
Head  16
Sector 63
LBA Mode  LBA
32Bit Mode  Off
Block Mode   16 Sec
PIO Mode  4
UDMA Mode  4

* Re: [9fans] Boot Error (more)
@ 2002-05-23 19:20 rsc
From: rsc @ 2002-05-23 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

That's useful.  Try booting from your floppy,
then at a shell prompt type

	disk/format -b /386/pbslba /dev/sdC0/9fat

It won't actually format your disk, just install
a new boot sector.  (Make sure you include the
-b flag.)  I'd be interested in the output of

	cat /dev/sdC0/ctl

by the way.

Thanks.
Russ
'

* Re: [9fans] Boot Error (more)
@ 2002-05-23 19:11 ` Mark Bitting
From: Mark Bitting @ 2002-05-23 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thursday 23 May 2002 14:50, you wrote:
> Can you send all the output that gets printed
> when you try to boot from the hard drive?

It spits out the AMI BIOS configuration table, followed by:

SDRAM  at DIMM  #    :  1
Searching for Boot Record from Floppy..Not Found
Searching for Boot Record from IDE-0..OK
MBR...PBS...I/O error
Press a key to reboot...

That's it, no real clues about what it doesn't like.

Hardware is:  Celeron 500, 64MB RAM, 10GB hd primary master (all Plan 9, no
other partitions for anything else), PS2 mouse, USB disabled in BIOS (which
may or may not really mean anything), 3com 3c905 ethernet card, Tean TN2
(Cirrus CL-GD5440-J-QC-B) video, 3-1/2" floppy drive, generic keyboard, and
nothing else.  The box booted Linux and FreeBSD without complaints in its
past lifetimes.

* Re: [9fans] Boot Error (more)
@ 2002-05-23 18:50 rsc
From: rsc @ 2002-05-23 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)