* [9fans] PnP
@ 2001-06-03 19:10 Wolfgang Helbig
From: Wolfgang Helbig @ 2001-06-03 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> From: Martin Harriss <martin@Princeton.EDU>
> There are ISA NE2000 clone ethernet cards that can be set to be
> configured either by PnP or by jumper or by a configuration program.  I
> see them all the time at computer shows here in the US; they may or may
> not be available in Germany.

The "setup" program accompaning the card didn't find the card.  It
says in the docs that the card is configurable by jumpers, but the
card doesn't have any. It says in the docs, that the card is
configured to IO-Address 0x300 and irq 5 if not changed by PnP
software. This was not true. The card was simply inactive.  So I
gave up on ISA-PnP.

> From: Dan Cross <cross@math.psu.edu>
> Go with a PCI card would be my advice.

And switched to PCI-PnP.
At least their setup.exe let me configure the IRQ(5), and showed
me that the IO base is fixed at 0x4000. So I put these values in
plan9.ini rebooted and -- it worked! At least on the plan9 side of
my two computer network. The other end now misses a PCI-ethernet
card :-)

Autoconfiguring PCI-versions of clone cards would increase the
usability of Plan 9.

Thanks for the replies,

Wolfgang

* Re: [9fans] PnP
@ 2001-06-03 20:38 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-06-03 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> The "setup" program accompaning the card didn't find the card.

more vileness.  does anyone remember when there were jumpers (or none)
and was just plug, without the pray?

* Re: [9fans] PnP
@ 2001-06-03 15:51 ` Martin Harriss
From: Martin Harriss @ 2001-06-03 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Wolfgang Helbig wrote:

> Hi,
> I want to use a PnP-card (NE2000 "clone"). The BIOS does not
> support PnP. And I do not want to port the PnP code from NetBSD
> to Plan 9. (about 3000 lines of intimitating code) Its hard to find
> a non PnP ethernet card nowadays. Any advices? Any experiences with a
> situation like this?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Wolfgang

There are ISA NE2000 clone ethernet cards that can be set to be
configured either by PnP or by jumper or by a configuration program.  I
see them all the time at computer shows here in the US; they may or may
not be available in Germany.

Martin

* Re: [9fans] PnP
@ 2001-06-03 15:01 ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2001-06-03 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In article <200106031433.f53EXEW00386@RVC1.Informatik.BA-Stuttgart.DE>,
Wolfgang Helbig <9fans@cse.psu.edu> wrote:
>Its hard to find a non PnP ethernet card nowadays.

Really?  I've found it hard to find ISA cards in general.

>?Any advices? Any experiences with a situation like this?

Go with a PCI card would be my advice.

	- Dan C.

* [9fans] PnP
@ 2001-06-03 14:33 Wolfgang Helbig