* [9fans] Newbie Question about plan9.
@ 2004-05-06 20:25 Nicolas Beauchesne
From: Nicolas Beauchesne @ 2004-05-06 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

I recently encounter a network desing problem, were at first sight plan9
design, I think, could be helpfull.
But since I'm a real newbie with plan9, I would like your opinion, before
digging further.

We will have to build a distributed network of server for different
small-branch office.
The server itself only provide basic service ( web, mail, filesharing,
printer, fax, internet gateway) for windows & unix client.
However those servers would need to act like one big system for these point:
    user management
    centralise backup system
    device sharing (printer & fax)
    hability to add new system(branch office) on the fly
    most filesharing will be local, however access is still needed between
branch.
    the possibility to work local when internet connection break (frequent
in some region)

Would a plan9 design worth analysing or the good old Unix(vpn to central
server) is still way better.

By the way, we are not afraid to write some code if needed and  I'm sorry if
I'm just off-topic
or did not understand the idea behind plan9.

have a good day

Nick

* Re: [9fans] Newbie Question about plan9.
@ 2005-01-04 22:14 ` Fco. J. Ballesteros
From: Fco. J. Ballesteros @ 2005-01-04 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

You could certainly use plan 9 for that.
We're doing so.
However, for web browsing you might have to
use another system. It depends on what
pages you try tro browse.

* Re: [9fans] Newbie Question about plan9.
@ 2005-01-05  0:38 ` Jack Johnson
From: Jack Johnson @ 2005-01-05  0:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, 6 May 2004 16:25:49 -0400, Nicolas Beauchesne
<nicolas.beauchesne@polymtl.ca> wrote:
> We will have to build a distributed network of server for different
> small-branch office.
> The server itself only provide basic service ( web, mail, filesharing,
> printer, fax, internet gateway) for windows & unix client.

Do you mean a Web proxy for this scenario?

Strangely enough, filesharing with Windows clients is probably the
hardest part of this scenario (though I haven't tried either the SMB
service for Plan 9 or Microsoft's Services for Unix with Plan 9's NFS
server).

-Jack

* Re: [9fans] Newbie Question about plan9.
@ 2005-01-05 12:35   ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2005-01-05 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: knapjack, 9fans

> Strangely enough, filesharing with Windows clients is probably the
> hardest part of this scenario (though I haven't tried either the SMB
> service for Plan 9 or Microsoft's Services for Unix with Plan 9's NFS
> server).

Not sure I agree, Nigel's aquarela works fine for me - with XP
and win2k clients, NT4 is still a problem though.

(If anyone wants NT4 connectivity I have a patch that fixes
many minor problems, but sadly not all of them)

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] Newbie Question about plan9.
@ 2005-01-05  1:38 ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2005-01-05  1:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> I've got a feeling that Windows is kinder than Unixen
> in terms of allowing unprivileged users to mount filesystems.

it's worse than that.  some of the security is implemented in the client!

* Re: [9fans] Newbie Question about plan9.
@ 2005-01-05  1:36 YAMANASHI Takeshi
From: YAMANASHI Takeshi @ 2005-01-05  1:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed Jan  5 09:39:20 JST 2005, Jack Johnson wrote:
> Strangely enough, filesharing with Windows clients is probably the
> hardest part of this scenario (though I haven't tried either the SMB
> service for Plan 9 or Microsoft's Services for Unix with Plan 9's NFS
> server).

Aquarela or ftpd could be easiest start.  Or even porting samba is
possible.  I've got a feeling that Windows is kinder than Unixen
in terms of allowing unprivileged users to mount filesystems.