* Re: [9fans] old Brazil paper
@ 2003-01-03 19:57 ` FJ Ballesteros
From: FJ Ballesteros @ 2003-01-03 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Using google I found this:

Abstracts
(Added as they become available)

Brazil
Rob Pike

With Plan 9 in production use, for example as the provider of Internet
directory service for AT&T 800 numbers, operating systems research in
our center has moved to a new system, called Brazil. Research topics
being addressed in Brazil center on higher-performance machines and,
particularly, networks. A new in-house 300 megabit/s switched fiber
network increases the potential bandwidth between machines by at least
an order of magnitude; our aim is to realize and exploit that bandwidth.
The overall design is to eliminate unnecessary overhead, particularly by
restructuring and redesigning where necessary to avoid copying data from
element to element along the communications path. For example, the
graphics model of the system has been completely replaced. Brazil uses a
data-based model in which applications transmit graphical udpates as
rectangular blocks of pixels to be written directly to the screen or
window, rather than the traditional description of how to draw the
update. This unifies traditional user interfaces and video at the lowest
levels of the system, which, coupled with the model of the file name
space inherited from Plan 9, makes it possible to display video on the
display under control of the window system but without the window system
needing to touch the data: the application can drive the display
directly. Most of this software (except the operating system kernel) is
written in a new concurrent systems programming language, Alef, which
makes it easy to write multi-process servers and applications that can
communicate using messages or shared memory, as appropriate.

* [9fans] old Brazil paper
@ 2003-01-03 21:29 Andrey S. Kukhar
From: Andrey S. Kukhar @ 2003-01-03 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

hola,
anybody knows where I can find abstract
of a talk on Brazil given by Rob Pike
(was at http://plan9.wtf.nyc.ny.us/brazil.html)?

-kyxap

* Re: [9fans] old Brazil paper
@ 2003-02-04  5:46   ` Andrey S. Kukhar
From: Andrey S. Kukhar @ 2003-02-04  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I found it too but I thought this is another paper

-kyxap