* [9fans] graphviz
@ 2004-03-03 19:45 David Tolpin
From: David Tolpin @ 2004-03-03 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

I have been able to compile
dot from graphviz (and make it pass most tests);
I hope neato will work too.

Is it of general interest?

What is the accepted way to deliver ports?

David

* Re: [9fans] graphviz
@ 2004-03-03 19:59 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-03-03 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> What is the accepted way to deliver ports?

donate a hard drive to BL so they can put it on sources and create a
/ports replica that we can all pull from.

make sure it's all mkfiles and doesn't require ape/psh to be run just
to get 'make' going (rewriting makefiles into mkfiles is an exercise
in how things can be done right in one OS and wrong in another).

andrey

* Re: [9fans] graphviz
@ 2004-03-03 20:08   ` David Tolpin
From: David Tolpin @ 2004-03-03 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> donate a hard drive to BL so they can put it on sources and create a
> /ports replica that we can all pull from.

This is doable.

> make sure it's all mkfiles and doesn't require ape/psh to be run just
> to get 'make' going (rewriting makefiles into mkfiles is an exercise
> in how things can be done right in one OS and wrong in another).

It will take longer, and does not make much sense for graphviz,
I am afraid.

* Re: [9fans] graphviz
@ 2004-03-03 20:15     ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-03-03 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> It will take longer, and does not make much sense for graphviz,
> I am afraid.

it doesn't makes sense to rewrite it into something more sensible?

puzzled.

* Re: [9fans] graphviz
@ 2004-03-03 20:22       ` David Tolpin
From: David Tolpin @ 2004-03-03 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > It will take longer, and does not make much sense for graphviz,
> > I am afraid.
>
> it doesn't makes sense to rewrite it into something more sensible?
>
> puzzled.

Right now, graphviz is distributed by AT&T with autoconf's configure
script, and (with few modifications to the result) it is used
to compile it under APE.  Changes to the source code are localized
and the patches will hopefully be applicable to new releases too.

Looking at the diff, I think it would make sense to incorporate the
changes into the main distribution.

Removing vowels from make would be a good excercise, but would
require continuous maintenance of the port. Unless a different
environment is written around the same algorithmic core to fit
into Plan9 environment, it does not make much sense, I think.

It's just a tool to draw graphs. It will not begin to draw
better graphs when compiled with mk instead of make.

David Tolpin

* Re: [9fans] graphviz
@ 2004-03-03 21:00         ` splite
From: splite @ 2004-03-03 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 12:22:42AM +0400, David Tolpin wrote:

> It's just a tool to draw graphs. It will not begin to draw
> better graphs when compiled with mk instead of make.

I'll thank you not to distract me from my navel-gazing with your animal
pragmatism.

* Re: [9fans] graphviz
@ 2004-03-03 21:08           ` David Tolpin
From: David Tolpin @ 2004-03-03 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > It's just a tool to draw graphs. It will not begin to draw
> > better graphs when compiled with mk instead of make.
>
> I'll thank you not to distract me from my navel-gazing with your animal
> pragmatism.

I only meant that in order to actually make it draw better graphs
it must be rewritten without #if and with normal string libraries
instead of POSIX mess.

* Re: [9fans] graphviz
@ 2004-03-03 21:42             ` splite
From: splite @ 2004-03-03 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 01:08:06AM +0400, David Tolpin wrote:
> > > It's just a tool to draw graphs. It will not begin to draw
> > > better graphs when compiled with mk instead of make.
> >
> > I'll thank you not to distract me from my navel-gazing with your animal
> > pragmatism.
>
> I only meant that in order to actually make it draw better graphs
> it must be rewritten without #if and with normal string libraries
> instead of POSIX mess.

I think the graphs would really stand out if you just recoded the whole
thing in Limbo.

* Re: [9fans] graphviz
@ 2004-03-03 22:29     ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2004-03-03 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i thought this was 9fans, not the samaritains

i must have missed a meeting ...

* Re: [9fans] graphviz
@ 2004-03-04  9:59               ` Robin KAY
From: Robin KAY @ 2004-03-04  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

splite@purdue.edu wrote:

>>> I'll thank you not to distract me from my navel-gazing with your animal
>>> pragmatism.
>>
>> I only meant that in order to actually make it draw better graphs
>> it must be rewritten without #if and with normal string libraries
>> instead of POSIX mess.
>
> I think the graphs would really stand out if you just recoded the whole
> thing in Limbo.

How can anyone even think about running such an ideologically impure
program on Plan 9? Clearly the program needs to rewritten to expose its
functionality as a file system ^_^'.

--
Wishing you good fortune,
--Robin Kay-- (komadori)

.

* Re: [9fans] Graphviz
@ 2007-06-11  7:02 ` Gabriel Diaz
From: Gabriel Diaz @ 2007-06-11  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

hello

you can find the reference here:

http://cm.bell-labs.com/plan9/addons.html

slds

gabi

On 6/11/07, Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ca> wrote:
> I recall coming across a port of Graphviz recently.  I thought it was
> in contrib, but I can't find it now.  Does anyone have a pointer to
> it?
>

> --lyndon

* [9fans] Graphviz
@ 2007-06-11  6:43 Lyndon Nerenberg