* [9fans] mouse behavior
@ 2004-06-07  9:31 cej
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: cej @ 2004-06-07  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

if my ps/2 mouse is removed and reinserted, cursor gets "frozen"
feature, or bug?

++pac.

* Re: [9fans] mouse behavior
@ 2004-06-07 13:41 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2004-06-07 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> if my ps/2 mouse is removed and reinserted, cursor gets "frozen"
> feature, or bug?

echo mousereset >/dev/mousectl

granted, this is somewhat hard to do if you
don't have a mouse.  but often not impossible.

* Re: [9fans] mouse behavior
@ 2004-06-07 15:00 ` Michaelo
From: Michaelo @ 2004-06-07 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

cej@gli.cas.cz wrote:

> if my ps/2 mouse is removed and reinserted, cursor gets "frozen"
> feature, or bug?

PS/2 mouse potrebuje inicializaciji, tak samo j u X-Window.

PS/2 mice need initialisation after reset,
the same will be happend in X-Window under linux too.

> ++pac.

* Re: [9fans] mouse behavior
@ 2004-06-07 15:22   ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2004-06-07 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> PS/2 mice need initialisation after reset,
> the same will be happend in X-Window under linux too.

if so, why isn't it automatic?

* Re: [9fans] mouse behavior
@ 2004-06-07 15:56 ` Jason Gurtz
From: Jason Gurtz @ 2004-06-07 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 6/7/2004 05:31, cej@gli.cas.cz wrote:
> if my ps/2 mouse is removed and reinserted, cursor gets "frozen"
> feature, or bug?

I'm pretty sure that--at least for pc hardware--neither ps/2 port is
required to support hot swapping.

~Jason

* Re: [9fans] mouse behavior
@ 2004-06-07 16:02   ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2004-06-07 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> I'm pretty sure that--at least for pc hardware--neither ps/2 port is
> required to support hot swapping.

damn thing should drop/raise some line on disconnect/connect.

the optical ones use 'phantom' power so it _should_ be possible,
but maybe the pc side doesn't you access to that sort of info.

* Re: [9fans] mouse behavior
@ 2004-06-08 18:13 ` rog
From: rog @ 2004-06-08 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> unfortunately, cursor is over acme window. (the box
> computes some task for 5 weeks now, so I don't
> want to restart it). Thanks, nevertheless!

it's for similar reasons that i start a listener in my termrc when
service=term so that i can access the box even when the mouse is
unplugged or the window system dies.

* [9fans] mouse behavior
@ 2004-06-08  9:03 cej
From: cej @ 2004-06-08  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> echo mousereset >/dev/mousectl

> granted, this is somewhat hard to do if you
> don't have a mouse.  but often not impossible.

unfortunately, cursor is over acme window. (the box
computes some task for 5 weeks now, so I don't
want to restart it). Thanks, nevertheless!

"I won't play with things I'm not familiar with next time.
 I won't play.....[100x] ;-)"

cheers,
++pac