* Re: [9fans] vga and ethernet
@ 2001-08-01 16:53 baldwin
From: baldwin @ 2001-08-01 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

it's '#I0', not '#10' -- that's I (eye), not 1 (one),
followed by 0 (zero), not O (oh).

* Re: [9fans] vga and ethernet
@ 2001-08-01 17:59 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2001-08-01 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

When I was much younger than today (hehe) and was making my first steps in
the fine art of debugging my own programs, I read something that stuck with
me forever -- one's programs will be much more readable if ambiguity over
character interpratation (l vs 1 vs I, O vs 0 in some fonts, etc) is
avoided. I.e. choose variable names wisely so that they can't be
misinterpreted by the reader...

I am left with the impression that I read it initially in 'the practice of
programming' but I couldn't find it anywhere in my copy of the book, so I
can't attribute it to anyone right now :(

andrey

On Wed, 1 Aug 2001 baldwin@vitanuova.com wrote:

> it's '#I0', not '#10' -- that's I (eye), not 1 (one),
> followed by 0 (zero), not O (oh).

* Re: [9fans] vga and ethernet
@ 2001-08-03  9:05   ` Ralph Corderoy
From: Ralph Corderoy @ 2001-08-03  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

> I read something that stuck with me forever -- one's programs will be
> much more readable if ambiguity over character interpratation (l vs 1
> vs I, O vs 0 in some fonts, etc) is avoided.

Kernighan and Plauger's _The Elements of Progamming Style_ has the rule

    Choose variable names that won't be confused.

and uses the line

    8 NO5S = NO5S + 1

as an example.

Their `Telephone Test' is similar.

Ralph.

* Re: [9fans] vga and ethernet
@ 2001-08-04  1:09     ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-08-04  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > I read something that stuck with me forever -- one's programs will be
> > much more readable if ambiguity over character interpratation (l vs 1
> > vs I, O vs 0 in some fonts, etc) is avoided.

slam the wrong thing into a pdp 11 kernel segment permission/mode
register and your kernel crashes.  mine did.  all due to a zero/O
problem.  at least the rl-02's didn't get smashed.

* RE: [9fans] vga and ethernet
@ 2001-08-01 17:09 Dean Ash
From: Dean Ash @ 2001-08-01 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: '9fans@cse.psu.edu'

>'the practice of programming' but I couldn't find it anywhere in my copy of
the book,

It's in one of the first couple of chapters in mine (version 2?)

It would have helped if I had looked a little closer at the fonts though.
Once the first person pointed out that it wasn't a one but a lower case L I
saw the difference.

However now I've been told the first char after the pound sign is a lower
case L (ell) and it's a capital I (eye) followed by zero. :-) Not really
sure of anything anymore. I'll have to pay much more attention to what I'm
reading. (although isn't that always the case)

I'm still now closer to figuring out how to get a network connection over a
TCP/IP network where clients get addresses from DHCP :-)

When I was much younger than today (hehe) and was making my first steps in
the fine art of debugging my own programs, I read something that stuck with
me forever -- one's programs will be much more readable if ambiguity over
character interpratation (l vs 1 vs I, O vs 0 in some fonts, etc) is
avoided. I.e. choose variable names wisely so that they can't be
misinterpreted by the reader...

I am left with the impression that I read it initially in 'the practice of
programming' but I couldn't find it anywhere in my copy of the book, so I
can't attribute it to anyone right now :(

andrey

On Wed, 1 Aug 2001 baldwin@vitanuova.com wrote:

> it's '#I0', not '#10' -- that's I (eye), not 1 (one),
> followed by 0 (zero), not O (oh).

* RE: [9fans] vga and Ethernet
@ 2001-07-31 19:07 Dean Ash
From: Dean Ash @ 2001-07-31 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: '9fans@cse.psu.edu'

my network admin just told me that we're on an Ethernet TCP/IP network. DHCP
is how our clients get IP addresses for the network. also DHCP worked during
install. I chose that option just to see what would happen and it worked.
from that point on our firewall stopped the network install.

tell me about the network you are attached to.

* Re: [9fans] vga and ethernet
@ 2001-07-31 12:04 presotto
From: presotto @ 2001-07-31 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-07-31  4:08 ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2001-07-31  4:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 10:41:31PM -0500, Dean Ash wrote:

> So I've got p9 up and running at work. I'm very happy. 2 problems have
> arisen though. 1. aux/vga doesn't want to change my resolution. I set my
> monitor to the multisync75 hz. the original error I was getting with aux/vga
> was that the vgadb didn't have the resolution I wanted in the db. I'm
> looking to get my resolution up to 1024x768x8 or 1152x864x8. well I put in
> these resolutions in the vgadb and now aux/vga doesn't report and error but
> it also doesn't do anything

I can't exactly be very helpful here, but perhaps you need to be more
specific.

> my second problem is getting a network connection. ip/config times out when
> I let it go for DHCP using ip/config -G also times out. I'm wondering if I
> need to do something with ether0. the man pages talk about using bind i.e.
> bind -a '#10' /net but the -a wants a directory to bind to /net. the problem
> is I don't know what #10 is so I can't figure out if it represents my
> ether0. anyhelp or pointers to a place to look would be appreciated.

That's #l0 ("ell-zero") not #10.  "L" for Lance, "0" for the first
device of its type.

++L

* [9fans] vga and ethernet
@ 2001-07-31  3:41 Dean Ash