* [9fans] web proxy
@ 2004-03-30 12:09 plan9fans
From: plan9fans @ 2004-03-30 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

I had to offer this: my web filtering proxy
in 8 lines. Its not complete, or the fastest,
but it does all I need.

More filtering rules available at:
http://www.surferprotectionprogram.com/rules/sites-blocked.ini.txt

-Steve

install as /bin/rc/service/tcp8080

#!/bin/rc
get=`{read}
switch ($get(2)){
case *.doubleclick.net/* *.valueclick.net/*
	exit 0
case *
	hget $get(2)
}

* Re: [9fans] web proxy
@ 2004-03-30 12:32 ` matt
From: matt @ 2004-03-30 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

thats okay for not seeing ads, however, it could *increase* your bandwidth as hget doesn't use "Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate, compress", the use of which can reduce your bandwidth requirements for html by around 70%

* Re: [9fans] web proxy
@ 2004-03-30 12:36       ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2004-03-30 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> if you have a motorola surfboard (like mine)

i got one too.  and then there's the 1M/320Kbit phone line ADSL.

* Re: [9fans] web proxy
@ 2004-03-30 12:41   ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2004-03-30 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue Mar 30 13:33:40 BST 2004, matt@proweb.co.uk wrote:
> thats okay for not seeing ads, however, it could *increase* your bandwidth as hget doesn't use "Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate, compress", the use of which can reduce your bandwidth requirements for html by around 70%

Hmmm, shows how little I know about html.

The idea is to allow me to put my plan9 box on the cablemodem
and proxy the occasional WinNT WWW access for my girlfriend
without paying for a NAT router (the car needs its C service).

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] web proxy
@ 2004-03-30 13:02     ` matt
From: matt @ 2004-03-30 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

if you have a motorola surfboard (like mine) , the ones ntl recommended years ago, it might have DHCP and nat enabled (a feature they choose not to tell you at ntl:)

take a look at http://192.168.100.1/config.html

[ ] Enable DHCP Server
The SURFboard cable modem can be used as a gateway to the Internet by a maximum
of 32 users on a Local Area Network (LAN). When the Cable Modem is disconnected
from the Internet, users on the LAN can be dynamically assigned IP Addresses by
the Cable Modem DHCP Server. These addresses are assigned from an address pool w
hich begins with 192.168.100.11 and ends with 192.168.100.42. Statically assigne
d IP addresses for other devices on the LAN should be chosen from outside of thi
s range