* RE: [9fans] PIC language
@ 2003-11-20 15:48 cej
From: cej @ 2003-11-20 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

thanks a lot. i decided to generate directly ps and convert them to eps. still thinking of pic as an output format for another program i'm going to write -- not sur, however. maybe it'll be easier to do it directly in ps.

++pac.

> do we / could we have colors in PIC? What about (filled) polygons?
>
> ++pac.

One strategy I have used in the past for complicated pictures is to generate my own xfig save files.  The format is not really meant to be human-readable, but it is plain text and documentation exists. xfig can read these and export them in many formats.  It can even export pic format, but don't expect things like colors to work. I usually export the pictures as encapsulated postscript.  You can generate the pictures however you want.  I used a chain of awk scripts--inefficient, but easy to debug.

--
John Stalker
Department of Mathematics

---
Pøíchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.
Verze: 6.0.541 / Virová báze: 335 - datum vydání: 14. 11. 2003

---
Odchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.
Verze: 6.0.541 / Virová báze: 335 - datum vydání: 14. 11. 2003

* Re: [9fans] PIC language
@ 2003-11-20 16:50 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-11-20 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Pic doesn't do color.

I have a copy of pic somewhere that does color.
I'm not so happy with my syntax, but it works.
Brian had a student do a pic2svg a few years ago that
did a better job with the syntax.  I've been meaning
to clean that up and put it into the distribution
(and put the better color syntax into mine too).

Much of the time you can get by with inserting
postscript directives to change the color behind
pic's back.

Polygons, filled or unfilled, have never been part
of pic's repertoire.

It's all a bit of a hack.  Postscript sounds like it
would work better for what you want anyway.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] PIC language
@ 2003-11-20 18:37 ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2003-11-20 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> still thinking of pic as an output format for another program i'm going to
write ...

there was a thing called cip(1) which was a blit program so you could 'draw'
what you wanted and it wrote pic.  iirc, it was more of an experiment than
a production tool.

* Re: [9fans] PIC language
@ 2003-11-19 18:01 ` John Stalker
From: John Stalker @ 2003-11-19 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2003-11-19 17:10     ` Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2003-11-19 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

We have a copy ☺

http://plan9.escet.urjc.es/sys/doc/pic.ps

hth

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2240 bytes --]

From: "boyd, rounin" <boyd@insultant.net>
To: <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: Re: [9fans] PIC language
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 18:05:54 +0100

> Isn't there a document describing "pic"?

there was, but i don't recall the last time or where i saw it.
probably in the mid '80s.

* Re: [9fans] PIC language
@ 2003-11-19 17:05   ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2003-11-19 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2003-11-19  9:41 ` Douglas A. Gwyn
From: Douglas A. Gwyn @ 2003-11-19  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

cej@gli.cas.cz wrote:
> do we / could we have colors in PIC? What about (filled) polygons?

The version of "pic" that I maintain supports colors;
I don't know about the Plan 9 one but if BWK had his
hand in it then I'd expect it also to support colors.

I don't recall any "pic" supporting general polygons.

Isn't there a document describing "pic"?

* [9fans] PIC language
@ 2003-11-18 14:46 cej