* Re: [9fans] rotating one's mbox
@ 2003-09-04 14:40 ` David Presotto
From: David Presotto @ 2003-09-04 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

yes.  what exactly are you trying to do, i.e., why rotate your mailbox.
You'ld be better off with a pipeto that just sticks your mail into a
mailbox of the correct date in the first place.  Or you could just run
upas/fs and copy the raw files out into a mailbox and then remove them.
Something like:

	upas/fs
	cd /mail/fs/mbox
	x=`{echo *}
	> /whatever/mbox.$datum
	for(i in $x){
		{ cat $i/unixheader; cat $i/raw; echo }>>/whatever/mbox.$datum
		echo delete $i > /mail/fs/ctl
	}

Then at least you're safe, so to speak.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1888 bytes --]

From: matt@proweb.co.uk
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] rotating one's mbox
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 11:33:24 -0400

is it worth worrying about the tiny window of opportunity for a mail to arrive while I have no mailbox?

cd /mail/box/$user/

datum = `{cat /dev/time | awk ' { print $1}'}
mv mbox mbox.$datum
# a mail could arrive now
upas/nedmail -c
chmod -al mbox.$datum

And : is the strategy for people running dump any different?

Matt

* [9fans] rotating one's mbox
@ 2003-09-04 15:33 matt
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: matt @ 2003-09-04 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2003-09-04 15:51 ` Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2003-09-04 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I'm running dump, but I do not rotate my mbox at all. Actually, our
mailboxes are not in a dumped file system, if any user wants to dump his/her
mail it suffices to store the mails in folders residing in a dumped file system.

hth

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1794 bytes --]

From: matt@proweb.co.uk
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 11:33:24 -0400

@ 2003-09-04 16:33   ` matt
From: matt @ 2003-09-04 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>what exactly are you trying to do, i.e., why rotate your mailbox.

I'm just looking to keep upas/fs & faces speedy

copy & delete looks the superior method, thanks

* Re: [9fans] rotating one's mbox
@ 2003-09-05  1:32 ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2003-09-05  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> is it worth worrying about the tiny window of opportunity for a mail to arrive
while I have no mailbox?

yes, as the RX02 (iirc) manual said:

     violation of protcol can result in permanent data loss

* Re: [9fans] rotating one's mbox
@ 2003-09-08  9:09     ` Douglas A. Gwyn
From: Douglas A. Gwyn @ 2003-09-08  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

matt@pc1-nott2-3-cust18.nott.cable.ntl.com wrote:
> I'm just looking to keep upas/fs & faces speedy
> copy & delete looks the superior method, thanks

It's hard to see how an incorrect algorithm can be
"superior" just because it's faster.