* [9fans] Asus MB w Marvell LAN chip
@ 2008-03-31  8:57 david
From: david @ 2008-03-31  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello all,
I'm trying to get a system running. So far, everything works but the
LAN. The motherboard has a Marvell 88E1111 Gb chip. I looked at
hardware listings on the site and guessing its not supported. Can
someone recommend a recent motherboard that works?

Thanks.
david

* Re: [9fans] Asus MB w Marvell LAN chip
@ 2008-03-31 12:58 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-03-31 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Hello all,
> I'm trying to get a system running. So far, everything works but the
> LAN. The motherboard has a Marvell 88E1111 Gb chip. I looked at
> hardware listings on the site and guessing its not supported. Can
> someone recommend a recent motherboard that works?

the marvell 88e1111 is a phy not a nic.  what nic do you have?

if it's not supported, you could always add a supported nic such as
the intel pro 1000/pt.  they're about $35.

it's hard to recommend a specific consumer motherboard since the lifetime
is so short.  i got these motherboards within the last 3 months:

- msi k9ag-neo2		amd sb600 chipset 8169-compatable nic
	no mp interrupts for serial.
- supermicro x7sbe	intel 3100/ich9r chipset 82573 nic
	no pata at all.  no hotswap.

you're probablly better off working the other way -- from workable
parts to a motherboard.  for example, amd sb600 or better +
8169-compatable (e.g.  realtek 8111b).

- erik