* [9fans] CD install fails, floppy install OK
@ 2005-05-28 22:34 koishi
From: koishi @ 2005-05-28 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9FANS

Hi
When attempting to install Plan9 from the Bell Labs CD (from 050526),
booting from the CD and selecting it (/dev/sdD0/data) as the source
to copy the distribution from, after beginning the "copydist" stage I get
the following error:
  diskWriteRaw failed: date=Fri Jan 2 10:45:10 EST 1970
    part=3 addr=3bf: i/o error
  entire cache is busy, 1499 dirty -- waking flush thread
  entire cache is busy, 1499 dirty -- waking flush thread
CPU utilisation goes to 100%, interrupt frequency stays the usual
(at about 20% of the histogram in stats),
syscall and context switch frequency go to "100%" too.
And then nothing happens.
There is no CD or HD activity.

My hard disk is a Quantum Fireball 20G ATA model at primary master,
my CD drive is an LG CD-RW 48x ATAPI at secondary master,
chipset is Intel 815e.

When I select the network as the source to copy the distribution from,
it configures the network correctly (the machine responds to ping), and
then in the "download" stage I get this:
  Downloading distribution package...
  rc (download): null list in concatenation
and it goes back to the menu.

With a floppy (from 050527), I can install Plan9 successfully from the
network (didn't try other methods), altough it doesn't offer
fossil+venti setup, but kfs or fossil only.

How could I install from the CD? Should I rewire the drives?
Please CC, not subscribed!
Thanks
--
Varga Peter

only message in thread, other threads:[~2005-05-28 22:34 UTC | newest]