* [9fans] boot fossil+fenti
@ 2004-03-14 19:25 steve-simon
From: steve-simon @ 2004-03-14 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

I installed a new machine (HP Brio + tekram scsi).

The install from floppy was faultless, I built a venti
as per the wiki.

I saved my venti config using venti/conf -w /dev/sd06/arenas.

The one piece of the jigsaw that appears to be missing
from the wiki, how do I make the venti come up at boot time?

If I set
   venti=#S/sd06/arenas
in plan9.ini, I get a kernel panic on boot
	boot 7 suicide 0xef1000be
	in syscall pc=0xbd33

I wonder if its because I am uing SCSI and have 4 disks, 4G for
fossil, a pair of fast 2Gs for indexes, and a 38G for venti;
I am not using fs to mirror or anything clever (yet).

The partitions don't appear on reboot, (disk/prep -p
/dev/sd0?/data > /dev/sd0?/ctl needed).

is it that the default kernel assumes I am using /dev/sdC0
and only write the partition info to the kernel for that one device?
(I cannot see where this is done in the source).

So near and yet...

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] boot fossil+fenti
@ 2004-03-14 20:03 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-03-14 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> If I set
>    venti=#S/sd06/arenas
> in plan9.ini, I get a kernel panic on boot
> 	boot 7 suicide 0xef1000be
> 	in syscall pc=0xbd33

/sys/src/9/boot/local.c starts venti from /boot, do you have it
compiled in 9pccpuf?

my arena configuration is stored in /dev/sd[CD]0/arenas but venti
works from /dev/fs.  in plan9.ini i have 'venti=/dev/cdC0/arenas' (i
change it with different menus, in case one of the disks fails and i
need to boot off the other), boot then binds devfs (#k) and venti
proceeds to read from /dev/fs.

andrey