* Re[2]: [9fans] writable optical media
@ 2001-09-19  9:12 Patric.Keller
From: Patric.Keller @ 2001-09-19  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> i think the quoted medi life for pre-preinter silver disks
> (pre-pressed cd roms) is around 10 years.
>
> "golds" is somewhat less
>
> photons wear them out so keep them in a dark lead cupboard
>
> TDK quotes > 10^8 reads for 128Mb MO disks
>
> they don't show figures for cd roms

some weeks ago i wanted to have a look at an old project i did
two years ago. so i got the cd rom out of the archive - only to
discover that it was _completely_ transparent! The golden
reflection layer was history... and so were some more projects
i stored on other cd roms at about the same time...
boy, did i cry.
but i'm sure that this was only a certain batch of cd roms.
anyway, it taught me that it's a good idea to check your
back-ups from time to time...

pat

The contents of this communication are confidential to the normal user of
the email address to which it was sent.  If you have received this email
in error, any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this
email is strictly prohibited.  If this is the case, please notify the
sender and delete this message.

* Re: Re[2]: [9fans] writable optical media
@ 2001-09-19 10:28 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-09-19 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> some weeks ago i wanted to have a look at an old project i did
> two years ago. so i got the cd rom out of the archive - only to
> discover that it was _completely_ transparent! The golden
> reflection layer was history... and so were some more projects

why do you think they were using gold?  err, marketing ...

i have, as many others do, 10+ year old audio cd's that read fine.
i even have a dvd that has a 1cm square seriously scratched area
(it arrived liked that) and even it plays.

no, i didn't send it back, because it reads and getting a replacement
in france is an invitation for another argument etc ...

> The contents of this communication are confidential to the normal user of
> the email address to which it was sent.  If you have received this email
> in error, any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this
> email is strictly prohibited.  If this is the case, please notify the
> sender and delete this message.

why do boneheaded companies insist on doing this?  given i _have_ the
message, isn't it a bit late?  motion to supress?  get a grip.

oh god, i think i've just violated sentence 2, so prosecute me.

can i notify the sender, including the message, _without_ violating
sentence 2?  how will the sender know what the message is if i don't
forward it?