* [9fans] Installation space
@ 2004-06-24  9:02 Gregg C Levine
From: Gregg C Levine @ 2004-06-24  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello from Gregg C Levine
What are the particulars for installing Plan9? Smallest IDE drive size? Largest?
Obviously the upper limit is that of the computer's BIOS, but that's not
really relevant.
Gregg C Levine drwho8 atsign att dot net
This signature is currently present on Tatooine hearding Banthas.

* Re: [9fans] Installation space
@ 2004-06-24  9:50 ` matt
From: matt @ 2004-06-24  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Smallest IDE drive size?

0b, it can be booted from the CD

* Re: [9fans] Installation space
@ 2004-06-24 11:14   ` Gregg C Levine
From: Gregg C Levine @ 2004-06-24 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In article <2fb72f1b2e44ef6b2ae9ded0571a0bec@juice.thebigchoice.com>,
matt@proweb.co.uk says...

>Smallest IDE drive size?
>
>0b, it can be booted from the CD

Hello from Gregg C Levine
I know that much. The install notes mention that. I meant what siz drive did can it be
installed on. I've got a few of the smaller IDE drives here. <1GB

@ 2004-06-24 11:25     ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2004-06-24 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I have installed the current distribution on 2Gb drives and had enough
room to play around in; more is better of course.

Once you have a stable install you could use the striping device
to put multiple tiny disks together :-^

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] Installation space
@ 2004-06-24 13:15 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-06-24 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> What are the particulars for installing Plan9? Smallest IDE drive size? Largest?
> Obviously the upper limit is that of the computer's BIOS, but that's not
> really relevant.

the entire installation is definitely less than a gigabyte, including
sources.

make sure you choose kfs while installing, your fossil will fill up a
small disk rather quickly and i wouldn't advise trying to configure
its snaptimes immediately after a first install.

according to my venti the initial install was less than 650MB.  it
grew to a gigabyte after 14 days of use, only after i moved
/usr/andrey from kfs to it:

http://pages.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/~mirtchov/screenshots/venti-size-july03.gif

andrey

* Re: [9fans] Installation space
@ 2004-06-24 13:34       ` C H Forsyth
From: C H Forsyth @ 2004-06-24 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

du on sources gives 213 mbytes, which includes source and x86 executables.
you'll need rather more to recompile everything (if you care),
but even so you should still fit reasonably well in under 1 gbyte.

* Re: [9fans] Installation space
@ 2004-06-24 13:49   ` Gorka Guardiola Múzquiz
From: Gorka Guardiola Múzquiz @ 2004-06-24 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>make sure you choose kfs while installing, your fossil will fill up a
>small disk rather quickly and i wouldn't advise trying to configure
>its snaptimes immediately after a first install.

> according to my venti the initial install was less than 650MB.  it
> grew to a gigabyte after 14 days of use, only after i moved
> /usr/andrey from kfs to it:

Sure this doesn't have to do with fossil's bug (already solved)
did you do the check?.

						G.

* Re: [9fans] Installation space
@ 2004-06-24 17:33     ` dvd
From: dvd @ 2004-06-24 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>Smallest IDE drive size?
>>0b, it can be booted from the CD

> I know that much. The install notes mention that. I meant what siz drive did can it be
> installed on. I've got a few of the smaller IDE drives here. <1GB

My full plan9 installation (with fossil) is on a 512Mb Compact Flash.
100Mb is still free.

David

* Re: [9fans] Installation space
@ 2004-06-24 17:49       ` boyd, rounin