* [9fans] setting up an "authentication server"
@ 2001-11-01 23:12 William S.
From: William S. @ 2001-11-01 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I have seen explanations for setting up a
"CPU/authentication server (CPU and auth server combined)"
and a "file server", but nothing about how to set
up a dedicated "authentication server" separate from
the CPU server.

I am not at the point of doing this yet so I am not looking
for a step by step explanation. I am just curious what the
advantages would be in doing this.

Bill
Amsterdam, NL

* Re: [9fans] setting up an "authentication server"
@ 2001-11-01 23:56 ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2001-11-01 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In article <20011102001208.A5218@xs4all.nl> you write:
>I have seen explanations for setting up a
>"CPU/authentication server (CPU and auth server combined)"
>and a "file server", but nothing about how to set
>up a dedicated "authentication server" separate from
>the CPU server.
>
>I am not at the point of doing this yet so I am not looking
>for a step by step explanation. I am just curious what the
>advantages would be in doing this.

An authentication server is just a CPU server that runs the
authentication server processes (in user land).  Unlike the file
server, it's not a seperate kernel; it's the ``normal'' CPU/terminal
kernel.

You can set up a standalone machine (ie, uses a local disk,
installation of the OS, etc) that runs the CPU server kernel but a
subset of the CPU server services.  In this case the subset would just
consist of the authentication server processes.  I don't generally like
to do this because I think it's a bit of an administrative hassle and
besides, if my file server goes away, I'm already in a world of hurt.

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] setting up an "authentication server"
@ 2001-11-01 23:58   ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-11-01 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I would run a standalone AS in a secure area.