* Re: [9fans] Long delay in processing under acme
@ 2003-01-29 17:40 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2003-01-29 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Skip Tavakkolian wrote:

>Has anyone else seen this in acme: sometimes, when doing '|fmt' or
>'|spell', I get a very long (20-30 seconds) delay in getting the output.

But that's what WNOHANG is for!

:)

* [9fans] Long delay in processing under acme
@ 2003-01-29 17:49 Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2003-01-29 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2003-01-29 20:53     ` rob pike, esq.
From: rob pike, esq. @ 2003-01-29 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> For things like
> '|spell' where I don't know if it means there aren't any spelling
> errors or the return is delayed, it isn't so obvious.

You can always watch the top line of the acme screen to see what's running
and when things finish.

-rob

* Re: [9fans] Long delay in processing under acme
@ 2003-01-29 21:02   ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2003-01-29 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>Has anyone else seen this in acme: sometimes, when doing '|fmt' or
>>'|spell', I get a very long (20-30 seconds) delay in getting the output.
>>

> But that's what WNOHANG is for!
>
> :)

It doesn't hang.  I can continue editing while I wait for the output.

 From a UI perspective it can be confusing.  For things like '|fmt' it
is obvious because it will finally output something.  For things like
'|spell' where I don't know if it means there aren't any spelling
errors or the return is delayed, it isn't so obvious.

BTW, it isn't the system either.  I can run things in other windows,
during these delay periods in acme, so I don't believe it is delays in
the interaction with the fs; and curiously I don't think I've ever
seen this on the cpu (with drawterm).

* Re: [9fans] Long delay in processing under acme
@ 2003-01-29 21:14     ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-01-29 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Usually the |fmt delay (I only see a few seconds sometimes,
never 20-30) means that the directory containing the window's
file is slow.  Acme runs the command in the directory named
in the window tag, and the first thing that happens is that
directory is searched for a binary called "fmt".  If that
directory is slow to respond, the exec will be slow to happen.
It happens in a separate proc, so life goes on in the acme window.

Typically this happens to me when I'm editing mail messages,
because I use upas/fs with pop3, and while it's talking to the
pop3 server it doesn't answer file system requests.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Long delay in processing under acme
@ 2003-01-29 22:07       ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2003-01-29 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Typically this happens to me when I'm editing mail messages,
> because I use upas/fs with pop3, and while it's talking to the
> pop3 server it doesn't answer file system requests.

That is it!  Checking with snoopy confirms that the pop conversation
is very s l o w at times (due to my ISP), and the timing correlates exactly.

Thanks.

* Re: [9fans] Long delay in processing under acme
@ 2003-01-30  9:40 ` paurea
From: paurea @ 2003-01-30  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Has anyone else seen this in acme: sometimes, when doing '|fmt' or
> '|spell', I get a very long (20-30 seconds) delay in getting the output.

Yes I saw that kind of effects when I had a slow /tmp because I was using a remote
one (a modification I had made to ramfs made it hang)

HTH.
								Gorka