* [9fans] vmware notes
@ 2003-01-26 17:20 andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2003-01-26 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

hello,

I tried to find in the archives whether the vmware image for plan9 is
updated frequently or not.

The current vmware image doesn't have rob pike's newwindow() addition to
libdraw. While I had no problems doing a replica/pull a newcomer to the OS
may find it frustrating that the network is not working by default for
example.

I would suggest enabling ip/ipconfig (the DHCP one) in the default vmware
installation since vmware aliases the already existing network connection so
nicely...

As for keeping the vmware image up to date, it may be easier just to give
instructions how to register on sources.cs and how to do a replica/pull and
not bother with putting a brand new vmware image on the web each night :)

andrey

* Re: [9fans] vmware notes
@ 2003-01-27  4:51 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-01-27  4:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I tried to find in the archives whether the vmware image for plan9 is
> updated frequently or not.

It's not.  It's updated about as frequently as the "stable" CD image.

> The current vmware image doesn't have rob pike's newwindow() addition to
> libdraw. While I had no problems doing a replica/pull a newcomer to the OS
> may find it frustrating that the network is not working by default for
> example.
>
> I would suggest enabling ip/ipconfig (the DHCP one) in the default vmware
> installation since vmware aliases the already existing network connection so
> nicely...

Hmm.  I should have turned that on.  Whoops.

> As for keeping the vmware image up to date, it may be easier just to give
> instructions how to register on sources.cs and how to do a replica/pull and
> not bother with putting a brand new vmware image on the web each night :)

I don't know any easy way to put up a new image automatically anyway.

Russ