* Re: [9fans] Hunging rio?
@ 2001-05-18 18:22 rob pike
From: rob pike @ 2001-05-18 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I would like to understand this.  Can you characterize the error better?
For example, does the hang occur if you don't hit the edge of the display?
Does any resize cause a hang, or only one that touches the right or bottom
edge?

-rob

* Re: [9fans] Hunging rio?
@ 2001-05-18 19:05 ` Andrew Pochinsky
From: Andrew Pochinsky @ 2001-05-18 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

   It's rather time comsuming to study this error systematically, so I
can only offer some anecdots describing 'it seems that so and so
happens often'. Anyway, rio seems to hang if the first (and the only)
window is resized or created with its lrc in the lower right quadrant
of the screen. It does not need to be on the edge, just far enough to
the bottom right (It may be more than 1024 in X, but the feeling is
that one can avoid hanging rio by making the first window small enough.)

Another impression is that this bug manifests itself more often with
the very first window than with other windows. (The installation
sequence seems to be unaffected.)

As to the remark about faulty hardware -- the same machines run dec'00
distribution now without problem (without any change to hw), so, while
that proves nothing, it does not feel like a hw issue.

--andrew

   From: "rob pike" <rob@plan9.bell-labs.com>
   Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 14:22:32 -0400

@ 2001-05-18 22:06 ` Francisco J Ballesteros
From: Francisco J Ballesteros @ 2001-05-18 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In my case, the hang happens by resizing using top/bottom lines and
also one of the corners.
No need to reach the edge of the display to get it frozen.

However, I just changed the hw and it seems to work properly now.
I don't now if the bug may be just for a particular vga. I'll
take a look to the exact model of the hanging board and drop a line
to the list when I get back to my office.

Ah, FTS that when it hangs I can always see the red lines drawn during
resize. that's all I can say by now.

rob pike wrote:

> I would like to understand this.  Can you characterize the error better?
> For example, does the hang occur if you don't hit the edge of the display?
> Does any resize cause a hang, or only one that touches the right or bottom
> edge?
>
> -rob

* Re: [9fans] HAnging rio?
@ 2001-05-18 22:33   ` Boyd Roberts