* [9fans] account for administration?
@ 2004-11-08 10:27 Matthias Teege
From: Matthias Teege @ 2004-11-08 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Sometime I need to change files where the owner/group is adm or sys. I
can add myself to this groups with uname adm +me. Is it usefull to use
a separate account (meadmin) for administrative tasks or doesn't
matter it? I don't wan't to introduce root again so what is the plan 9
way?

Matthias

* Re: [9fans] account for administration?
@ 2004-11-08 13:51 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2004-11-08 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthias Teege, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Sometime I need to change files where the owner/group is adm or sys. I
> can add myself to this groups with uname adm +me. Is it usefull to use
> a separate account (meadmin) for administrative tasks or doesn't
> matter it? I don't wan't to introduce root again so what is the plan 9
> way?

We just put people who need such power into sys.
Adm is really for running the file server and you
shouldn't need anyone in that group.

Occasionally we've had people who didn't trust
their fingers and wanted an "in-sys" account separate
from their normal account so that they couldn't
make mistakes that affected everyone while doing
their everyday work.  When they wanted to do admin
stuff they logged in as themsys instead of them.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] account for administration?
@ 2004-11-08 14:04   ` Matthias Teege
From: Matthias Teege @ 2004-11-08 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russ Cox; +Cc: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 08:51:18 -0500, Russ Cox <russcox@gmail.com> wrote:
> their everyday work.  When they wanted to do admin
> stuff they logged in as themsys instead of them.

Many thanks, that answers my question.

@ 2004-11-08 14:11   ` arisawa
From: arisawa @ 2004-11-08 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello,

> Occasionally we've had people who didn't trust their fingers

that't me. mine is.
adm:adm:adm:
sys:sys:stuff:

srv -APW