* [9fans] broken acme
@ 2003-02-20 13:19 Anastasopoulos S
From: Anastasopoulos S @ 2003-02-20 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi

About yesterday's problem with pasting in acme.
It seems that Russ is right. The problem is with vmwarefs.

Using Russ's code in a rio window

term% echo hello world >/dev/snarf
term% cat /dev/snarf
term% ps|grep vmwarefs
anastas 49 0:00 0:00 136K Pread vmwarefs
term% ls -l /dev/snarf
--rw-rw-rw- M 15 vmware vmware 0 Feb 19 04:13 /dev/snarf
term%

Now if i start using mouse chords in the same window, it behaves
strangely.

If i comment out aux/vmwarefs from termrc everything is fine.

The settings are Plan9 installed on vmware on win2kSP2 using the bleeding
edge CD(14/2/2003).

Spyros

* Re: [9fans] broken acme
@ 2003-02-20 14:44 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-02-20 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I'm running VMware 3.2 (build 2230) right now
on Windows XP, and have no problems with the
snarf buffer.  I used Windows 2000 for a while
also with no problems.

Perhaps you are running some other Windows program
that is doing weird things with the snarf buffer?
Does copy and paste work in, say, notepad?
Another thing to try would be to copy something
in Windows and then cat /dev/snarf in Plan 9.

I think this might be a VMware bug rather than a Plan 9 bug.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] broken acme
@ 2003-02-19 16:58     ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-02-19 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

the link is on the updates page.

* Re: [9fans] broken acme
@ 2003-02-19 16:18   ` Jack Johnson
From: Jack Johnson @ 2003-02-19 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Russ Cox wrote:
> Which CD did you use?  The standard
> one (which is quite old) or the bleeding edge one?
> (Plan9.iso or plan9-new.iso?)

I didn't see a link to the bleeding edge iso on the Web site, but
butchering the URL from the floppy image download page seems to work.

-Jack

* Re: [9fans] broken acme
@ 2003-02-19 14:17     ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-02-19 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> acme fails with the bleeding edge CD(downloaded on 14/2/2003)

you did not answer my earlier question.
this problem seems more indicative of
aux/vmwarefs (which provides a /dev/snarf
shared between your plan 9 vm and the host os)
not handling /dev/snarf right.

please try the commands i sent.

russ

* Re: [9fans] broken acme
@ 2003-02-19 14:01   ` Anastasopoulos S
From: Anastasopoulos S @ 2003-02-19 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi

acme fails with the bleeding edge CD(downloaded on 14/2/2003)

I used the old CD(Plan9.iso) under vmware and worked fine. Didn't install
anything, just boot from the CD(menu option 2).

Spyros

* Re: [9fans] broken acme
@ 2003-02-19 13:49 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-02-19 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Try this in a rio window:

	echo hello world >/dev/snarf
	cat /dev/snarf
	ps|grep vmwarefs
	ls -l /dev/snarf

I don't think the problem is acme's fault.
It's more likely that aux/vmwarefs has
fallen down on the job.

@ 2003-02-19 12:27 Anastasopoulos S
From: Anastasopoulos S @ 2003-02-19 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi

I installed plan9 on vmware on win2k  using the sources CD from
14/2/2003. The installation was without problems but acme seems broken.

Pasting text does not work neither with the 1-3 chord, nor with
explicit Snarf , Paste. However it is possible to Snarf text using 1-2,1-3
but you can't Paste it later.
The chords work fine with rc windows.

Spyros