* Re: [9fans] Need help on telco and mail
@ 2002-11-02 20:01 Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2002-11-02 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> 1)  I want to disable the fax receive feature so the system (with telco
> running) will ignore incoming telephone calls. This will let me get e-mail
> from time to time and still leave the line clear for incoming voice
> calls.What's the easiest way to do this?

Use the undocumented '-n' option on the telco command.

* [9fans] Need help on telco and mail
@ 2002-11-02 22:28 Thomas West
From: Thomas West @ 2002-11-02 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

1)  I want to disable the fax receive feature so the system (with telco
running) will ignore incoming telephone calls. This will let me get e-mail
from time to time and still leave the line clear for incoming voice
calls.What's the easiest way to do this?

2) mail problem: After invoking maill <addr>, composing mail an hitting
'esc' the screen border toggles, but no mail is sent.
But the following sends mail via modem to ISP.
echo msg|mail att.net!west9 ; kickqueue
and
echo msg|mail west9
sends mail locally.

With, for instance, 'pwd' the composition feature works as expected.

Thanks,

-Tom

* Re: [9fans] Need help on telco and mail
@ 2002-11-02 20:03 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-11-02 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> 1)  I want to disable the fax receive feature so the system (with telco
> running) will ignore incoming telephone calls. This will let me get e-mail
> from time to time and still leave the line clear for incoming voice
> calls.What's the easiest way to do this?

The undocumented -n command-line flag might
be exactly what you want.

> 2) mail problem: After invoking maill <addr>, composing mail an hitting
> 'esc' the screen border toggles, but no mail is sent.
> But the following sends mail via modem to ISP.
> echo msg|mail att.net!west9 ; kickqueue
> and
> echo msg|mail west9
> sends mail locally.
>
> With, for instance, 'pwd' the composition feature works as expected.

I assume you are talking about `hold mode.'
When a window is in hold mode (is blue), none
of the input you type is sent to whatever is
reading from that console.  When you exit hold
mode (by typing esc), the input starts flowing again.
Hold mode doesn't cause EOFs to be sent, though.
You still need to type ^D to send mail an EOF.

Russ