* [9fans] confusion re auth and cpu
@ 2004-03-05 16:53 plan9fans
From: plan9fans @ 2004-03-05 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

I don't understand quite what is happening here.

I have an account steve on my machine. I have run the cpu and
keyfs listners so I can cpu to this machine.

Now I cpu to one of the 9grid machines - where I am known as
steve.simon.

	term% cat /dev/user
	steve
	term% cpu -h g.grid.bell-labs.com
	cpu% bind /mnt/term/net /net
	cpu% cpu larch.snellwilcox.com
	term% cat /dev/user
	steve.simon
	term%

IE. I have come back to my machine, authenticated via the auth server on
a.grid.bell-labs.com - though I don't know how, only to appear as somone
else and of no-longer the owner of my files.

How did I authenticate for this reverse connection?
If I had the same username at both end would I have
rights to my files? (and should I have?)!

confused

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] confusion re auth and cpu
@ 2004-03-05 17:06 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-03-05 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

that will happen if both factotums have the key for a different user.
they agree on that key and the remote automatically "becomes" that
user..

for a better treatment see:

	http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&frame=right&th=40b73ca7473fa11f&seekm=Pine.LNX.4.44.0307282045420.31794-100000%40fbsd.cpsc.ucalgary.ca#link1

* [9fans] confusion re auth and cpu
@ 2004-03-06  1:17 David Presotto
From: David Presotto @ 2004-03-06  1:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>Now I cpu to one of the 9grid machines - where I am known as
>steve.simon.
>
>	term% cat /dev/user
>	steve
>	term% cpu -h g.grid.bell-labs.com
>	cpu% bind /mnt/term/net /net
>	cpu% cpu larch.snellwilcox.com
>	term% cat /dev/user
>	steve.simon
>	term%
>
>IE. I have come back to my machine, authenticated via the auth server on
>a.grid.bell-labs.com - though I don't know how, only to appear as somone
>else and of no-longer the owner of my files.
>
>How did I authenticate for this reverse connection?
>If I had the same username at both end would I have
>rights to my files? (and should I have?)!

Just for a wild guess:

1) on g, your profile mounts /mnt/term/mnt/factotum onto /mnt/factotum
2) on larch, your profile mounts /mnt/term/dev into /dev

At least, that would have the effect you see.  There are a few other ways.