* [9fans] An idiot question
@ 2007-05-13  0:28 Kim Shrier
From: Kim Shrier @ 2007-05-13  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I was experimenting with my new Plan 9 setup and I typed

     cat /mnt/wsys/wctl

It proceeded to output information about the current window
and dutifully reported when I moved or resized it.

My question is, how to I terminate cat and get back to my
command prompt?

Kim

* Re: [9fans] An idiot question
@ 2007-05-13  0:33 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2007-05-13  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

with the delete key.  (assuming you're running rio.)

- erik

On Sat May 12 20:28:49 EDT 2007, kim@tinker.com wrote:
> I was experimenting with my new Plan 9 setup and I typed
>
>      cat /mnt/wsys/wctl
>
> It proceeded to output information about the current window
> and dutifully reported when I moved or resized it.
>
> My question is, how to I terminate cat and get back to my
> command prompt?
>
> Kim

* Re: [9fans] An idiot question
@ 2007-05-13  0:37 ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2007-05-13  0:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> My question is, how to I terminate cat and get back to my
> command prompt?

Just type <del>

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] An idiot question
@ 2007-05-13  1:10   ` Kim Shrier
From: Kim Shrier @ 2007-05-13  1:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I am running rio.  The delete key isn't working.  If I type
some characters the delete key does back up and delete them.
When I get to the beginning of the line, nothing happens.

I'll look into seeing if it is mapped to return something
other than del.

Kim

On May 12, 2007, at 6:33 PM, erik quanstrom wrote:

> with the delete key.  (assuming you're running rio.)
>
> - erik
>
> On Sat May 12 20:28:49 EDT 2007, kim@tinker.com wrote:
>> I was experimenting with my new Plan 9 setup and I typed
>>
>>      cat /mnt/wsys/wctl
>>
>> It proceeded to output information about the current window
>> and dutifully reported when I moved or resized it.
>>
>> My question is, how to I terminate cat and get back to my
>> command prompt?
>>
>> Kim

* Re: [9fans] An idiot question
@ 2007-05-13  1:18     ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2007-05-13  1:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

could you perhaps be confusing the backspace and delete keys? that
would happen if you were using a mac keyboard (the backspace is marked
as "delete" there). i am running drawterm on a mac here and have to
press fn+delete (the function key and what is normally backspace) to
emulate the "del" of a 101-key keyboard.

* Re: [9fans] An idiot question
@ 2007-05-13  1:26     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2007-05-13  1:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

your keyboard may be labled strangly.  if you have a
101-key keyboard, the delete key should be in the lower
left in the set of six above the arrow keys to the right
of the querty layout.

here's a picture
	http://horstmann.com/bigj/help/windows/keyboard.gif

if that doesn't work, perhaps backspace
and delete have been swapped?

in all cases <compose>+X007f will get you an according-to-hoyle
delete.  to type this double-vulcan nerve pinch on a pc style
keyboard, hold down <alt><shift>X at the same time then
type the caracters '0' '0' '7' 'f'.  (no need to sacrifice a goat.  a chicken
will do.)  this is 007f is the unicode codepoint which corrisponds
to <del>.  i don't know what <compose> maps to on non-pc
keyboards.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] An idiot question
@ 2007-05-13  1:32       ` Kim Shrier
From: Kim Shrier @ 2007-05-13  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

fn+delete works perfectly.

Thanks.
Kim

@ 2007-05-13  6:06         ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2007-05-13  6:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

great info.  i have a few mac usb keyboards (they last longer
than iMacs and get discarded on the street - with f*cked iMac).
i've always wanted a del from them.

thanks,

brucee