* Re: [9fans] fs sntp - GMT or localtime?
@ 2002-10-07 21:57 Geoff Collyer
From: Geoff Collyer @ 2002-10-07 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

All Plan 9 (and Unix) systems use GMT internally.  They expect the
local hardware clock to be in GMT also, though Plan 9 should reset it
to GMT if it wasn't (via sntp on file servers and timesync on all
others).  If you're dead set on running your hardware clock in local
time for the benefit of MS Windows, it's possible to run `timesync -L'.

* Re: [9fans] fs sntp - GMT or localtime?
@ 2002-10-07 10:41 ` David Bulkow
From: David Bulkow @ 2002-10-07 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

nigel@9fs.org wrote:

> The date is local time I think.
>
> You need to set
>
> /sys/src/fs/port/time.c:/^} timezone/
>
>  to match where you live. What does it say?

The timezone is 5*60 and dsttime is 1, which makes sense for my location.

I just finished an experiment which seems to indicate that the fileserver
expects to be set to GMT/UTC.

- set fileserver to "local time"
- boot a terminal

The terminal time is now 6 hours BEFORE local time.  Once timesync gets
sync'ed up, the terminal time jumps back to local time.

- set fileserver to sntp time (6 hours forward)
- boot a terminal

The terminal time now matches local time.  Timesync, once sync'ed, also
provides local time.

With this test information and another perusal of the sources, I am now see
the fileserver "date" command reports time without a timezone translation.  I
also determined that the terminal sets its time based on the access time of
'#s/boot', which matches my read of the code, as the fs will use timezone when
setting access times.  Perhaps "date" should reflect the timezone.

* Re: [9fans] fs sntp - GMT or localtime?
@ 2002-10-04 17:41 nigel
From: nigel @ 2002-10-04 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The date is local time I think.

You need to set

/sys/src/fs/port/time.c:/^} timezone/

 to match where you live. What does it say?

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1724 bytes --]

From: David Bulkow <dbulkow@sw.stratus.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] fs sntp - GMT or localtime?
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 15:39:39 GMT

After configuring my fileserver to use sntp it jumped ahead 6 hours.
The timesync command on a terminal (and cpu/auth server) manages to
synchronize to the local time (EST+DST).

Is the fileserver time reported by the "date" command intended to be
GMT?

* [9fans] fs sntp - GMT or localtime?
@ 2002-10-04 15:39 David Bulkow