* [9fans] utf-8
@ 2016-02-07  2:04 Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2016-02-07  2:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Not to burst a balloon but check out variable length ints in the Midi File
Format for utf-8 in the early 80s.

brucee

* Re: [9fans] utf-8
@ 2016-02-07  5:42 ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2016-02-07  5:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

but following that line of reasoning, aren't they all specialized versions
of Huffman encoding?

On Sat, Feb 6, 2016 at 6:04 PM Bruce Ellis <bruce.ellis@gmail.com> wrote:

> Not to burst a balloon but check out variable length ints in the Midi File
> Format for utf-8 in the early 80s.
>
> brucee

* Re: [9fans] utf-8
@ 2016-02-08  1:09   ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2016-02-08  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Yes. But the midi version is utf-8.

brucee

On 7 February 2016 at 16:42, Skip Tavakkolian <skip.tavakkolian@gmail.com>
wrote:

> but following that line of reasoning, aren't they all specialized versions
> of Huffman encoding?
>

> On Sat, Feb 6, 2016 at 6:04 PM Bruce Ellis <bruce.ellis@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Not to burst a balloon but check out variable length ints in the Midi
>> File Format for utf-8 in the early 80s.
>>
>> brucee

* Re: [9fans] utf-8
@ 2016-02-08 13:48     ` Anthony Sorace