* [9fans] 9conlon (aka London Plan9 Conference): room booking
@ 2004-03-09 17:06 Dave Lukes
From: Dave Lukes @ 2004-03-09 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I've provisionally booked a room for 9conlon.
We can cancel it if something better turns up.

It's the upstairs bar/hall at Union Chapel:
	http://www.unionchapel.org.uk/
	http://www.unionchapel.org.uk/hire/uphall.php

(The photo shows it cleared for rehearsal:
 usually it's used as a bar and has a lot of seating).

Reasons being (in no particular order):
* It's an ideal location:
  2 minutes walk from a well-connected station
  (Highbury and Islington: underground and overground).
* It's a nice large room (lots of comfy sofas etc.)
* Our money will help the homeless
* It's an interesting building
* I can swing a slight discount.
* Quiet

Negative points:
* No easy internet connectivity (maybe a feature!)
  We may be able to scrounge part of an ADSL connection
  if we need to:
            ***** TELL ME IF YOU _NEED_ CONNECTIVITY *****

I'll cover the cost (~£300),
although donations will be gratefully received!
(Yes, I know it's expensive: this is London!)

Although the bar isn't open at weekends, we can bring our own booze,
or get the venue to supply some  booze (we pay for what we drink).

Since I know that RealAlefans are a non-empty subset of 9fans,
I would suggest the former.

Let me know of any objections/ideas etc. ASAP.

Thanks,
	Dave.

* Re: [9fans] 9conlon (aka London Plan9 Conference): room booking
@ 2004-03-10 12:21 ` matt
From: matt @ 2004-03-10 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Looks a lovely place

We can even go home with a souvenir mug
http://www.unionchapel.org.uk/news.builder/00018.html

 ***** TELL ME IF YOU _NEED_ CONNECTIVITY *****
does the Pope have a nice balcony?

I imagine it would be quite frustrating to say
"I know this great website about that ... I'll mail you the address when I get home"

otoh supposedly by then work will have supplied me with an IBM X20 & Nokia 6600 for keeping connected during my infrequent trips away from the desk so I should have a portable internet. It's not here yet though.

I'll happily bring my 801.11b base station if that helps
I've also got a 32 port 10/100 switch i can bring
and any other kit required

matt

* Re: [9fans] 9conlon (aka London Plan9 Conference): room booking
@ 2004-03-10 16:17   ` Dave Lukes
From: Dave Lukes @ 2004-03-10 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> We can even go home with a souvenir mug
> http://www.unionchapel.org.uk/news.builder/00018.html

... and make a donation too:
	http://www.unionchapel.org.uk/restoration/index.php

> I imagine it would be quite frustrating to say
> "I know this great website about that ... I'll mail you the address when I get home"

Well, we can LAN ourselves together at least ...

> otoh supposedly by then work will have supplied me with an IBM X20 & Nokia 6600 for keeping connected during my infrequent trips away from the desk so I should have a portable internet. It's not here yet though.

Hey!  Matt's giving us connectivity!  (Just joking!).

The problem is this:
they have ADSL in the office, which is several hundred feet
('cos of labyrinthine corridors) from where we are going to be,
through lots of steel and stone, so WiFi is no good.

If you want to try running some Cat5 through
(and maybe using a hub or 2 as repeaters)  I'll willingly help.

> I'll happily bring my 801.11b base station if that helps
> I've also got a 32 port 10/100 switch i can bring
> and any other kit required

Excellent!
I can scounge up a couple of small hubs too, if we need them!

Let's coordinate ASA I've found out exactly
what we can and can't do (due to health&safety etc.).

Cheers,
	Dave.