* [9fans] Monitor + Screen size question
@ 2004-07-16  9:38 jj
From: jj @ 2004-07-16  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

I am almost done with the plan9 install on my laptop. I still have
couple of issues. I read the man pages, but without sucess. This is
the place for help, so I  ask:

  1. The rio window is way smaller than my actual laptop screen. I
tried to change the file /env/vgasize, but the content will not
change, at every restart, I still have 640x400x8. I also tried to run
      % echo size 1024x768x8 r8b8g8 > vgactl
     but this did not work.

  2. I plan on attaching a screen to my laptop so I can use it more
like a desktop, when I tried that earlier, rio would only appear on
the laptop screen, but not the attached monitor. Is there a reason
why? What is the file to edit? /env/monitor ?

Also, I was really confused when I tried to change the content of
/env/vgasize. I opened 2 terminals, changed the content of the file in
terminal1, did cat and saw my changes, did cat on the same file in
terminal2 and got the file as it was before my changes ? How come ? Is
there a way to actually change the content of the /env/files using a
text editor ?

Sorry for all those confused newbie questions. The man pages are a
pleasure to read by the way.

Thanks.

  jj

* Re: [9fans] Monitor + Screen size question
@ 2004-07-16  9:57 ` gdiaz
From: gdiaz @ 2004-07-16  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

hello,

i think you must edit plan9.ini and set vgasize var to your preference, to do
that, you can do the following:

% 9fat:
% cd /n/9fat
% acme plan9.ini

then edit, and change the line vgasize=640x480x8 to other like=1024x768x16

write changes, and reboot

to the second question, i suggest you read The use of the namespaces in plan9
paper in /sys/doc or in the plan9 webpage docs section.

gabi.