* [9fans] how to run screensaver on cpu server console
@ 2007-07-31 20:01 Antonin Vecera
From: Antonin Vecera @ 2007-07-31 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi all,

is it possible to run screensaver (blank screen) on cpu server console?
How to set idle time?

Antonin

* Re: [9fans] how to run screensaver on cpu server console
@ 2007-07-31 20:05 ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2007-07-31 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 7/31/07, Antonin Vecera <antonin.vecera@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> is it possible to run screensaver (blank screen) on cpu server console?
> How to set idle time?

years ago, dean pritchard at LANL did a neat thing by hooking the
screen saver in at a very low level -- that's about all I remember
except it was cool. Andrey may remember how it all worked -- Andrey?
Can you recall what I'm talking about from this lousy description I'm
giving?

ron

* Re: [9fans] how to run screensaver on cpu server console
@ 2007-07-31 20:17   ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2007-07-31 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

that was a hack to allow "locking" of terminals as per management's
requirements: http://mirtchovski.com/lanlp9/rlock/index.html

not really sure that's what Antonin was looking for.

there is blanking for vga enabled displays (man 3 vga) but i'm not
sure consoles can actually be blanked if there's no vga running on
them. you can, of course, run aux/vga without starting rio and use the
hardware blanker with a low blanktime. or you can also just unplug the
monitor cable.

@ 2007-08-01  6:44     ` Antonin Vecera
From: Antonin Vecera @ 2007-08-01  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I don't need to lock it, just only blank screen.
I have my server on notebook, so I cannot unplug the monitor cable or
switch it off.
And aux/vga I cannot use because when I start it with enabled both
cpu's (Core Duo processor) the graphics gets corrupted. In text mode
it works well. But without the screensaver.
Everybody unplugs his monitor cable or burns out his CRT/LCD screen?

@ 2007-08-01 18:56       ` Kris Maglione
From: Kris Maglione @ 2007-08-01 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 08:44:59AM +0200, Antonin Vecera wrote:
>And aux/vga I cannot use because when I start it with enabled both
>cpu's (Core Duo processor) the graphics gets corrupted. In text mode
>it works well. But without the screensaver.
>Everybody unplugs his monitor cable or burns out his CRT/LCD screen?

You don't want to blank the screen, you want to actually turn it
off. Just blanking an LCD will burn it out as fast as, if not
faster than, not doing so (blanking the screen leaves the
backlight on, and turns each pixel completely on). See apm(8).

--
Kris Maglione

You can't guard against the arbitrary.

* Re: [9fans] how to run screensaver on cpu server console
@ 2007-08-01 20:06         ` Antonin Vecera
From: Antonin Vecera @ 2007-08-01 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Thanks for your explanation.
I have looked at apm, but "man 3 apm" says : "It is only available on
uniprocessor PCs."
And I want it to run on my 2 core processor.
That's a pity.

Antonin