* [9fans] fortune in login window
@ 2008-09-09  7:58 Antonin Vecera
From: Antonin Vecera @ 2008-09-09  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello people,

I have file $home/bin/rc/riostart , which starts my favorite programs
after my login to terminal.
I would like to have in my initial rc window printed a message from
fortune, something like this:

+--------------------------------------
|  Don't worry, be happy!
|
| term$ _

I am not successful with it. Does anybody know, how to make it?

Antonin

* Re: [9fans] fortune in login window
@ 2008-09-09  9:20 ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2008-09-09  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The startup script is envoked by your profile ($home/lib/profile)
where it starts rio (I call mine startup, you seem to call yours
riostartup, its personal choice really)

here is the relevant line in mine:

	exec rio -s -i startup

and here is my $home/bin/rc/startup

	#!/bin/rc

	auth/fgui &
	if(~ $service terminal)
		window -r 0 0 200 120 stats -lmei $sysname $cpu
	if not
		window -r 0 0 200 120 stats -lmei

	window -r 201 0 845 120 faces -i
	window -r 1159 0 1279 120 clock
	window -r 95 212 921 734 logwin

The last line above starts logwin which is a seperate script which
opens my first terminal window and runs fortune etc in it, here is
$home/bin/rc/logwin

	#!/bin/rc

	fortune
	calendar -y
	news
	echo

	exec rc -i

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] fortune in login window
@ 2008-09-09 10:16   ` Antonin Vecera
From: Antonin Vecera @ 2008-09-09 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 11:20 AM, Steve Simon <steve@quintile.net> wrote:
> The startup script is envoked by your profile ($home/lib/profile)
> where it starts rio (I call mine startup, you seem to call yours
> riostartup, its personal choice really)
>
> here is the relevant line in mine:
>
>        exec rio -s -i startup
>
> and here is my $home/bin/rc/startup
>
>        #!/bin/rc
>
>        auth/fgui &
>        if(~ $service terminal)
>                window -r 0 0 200 120 stats -lmei $sysname $cpu
>        if not
>                window -r 0 0 200 120 stats -lmei
>
>        window -r 201 0 845 120 faces -i
>        window -r 1159 0 1279 120 clock
>        window -r 95 212 921 734 logwin
>
> The last line above starts logwin which is a seperate script which
> opens my first terminal window and runs fortune etc in it, here is
> $home/bin/rc/logwin
>
>        #!/bin/rc
>
>        fortune
>        calendar -y