* Re: [9fans] Intel 82810-DC100 card and two PCs configuration
@ 2002-11-14  1:49 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2002-11-14  1:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I forgot one thing.

There are line in Wiki's [Configuring a standalone CPU server] page as

>! for (i in m i S t)
>! 	bind -a '#'^$i /dev >/dev/null >[2=1]

I recommnend to add 'f' in the first line for using floppy drive
on that machine.

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] Intel 82810-DC100 card and two PCs configuration
@ 2002-11-14  1:39 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2002-11-14  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I recommend this configuration to all the people who want to use Plan 9
> at home.  In the case of just standalone 9 terminal with disk(kfs), we can't
> use factotum, and it's not enough to keep privacy in home. ?

I supposed others in home than you have no effective knowledge of
Operating Systems.  If it breaks in you home, you may need true Plan 9
system configuration, meaning file server, auth server and terminals
of course. ?

* Re: [9fans] Intel 82810-DC100 card and two PCs configuration
@ 2002-11-14  1:33 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2002-11-14  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The problem I reported for my two PCs Plan 9 system at home was solved.
Thank you very much Dave!!

> I followed the description of Wiki,

This was not true in details. ☺

I modified, erraneously :-), two things from Wiki [Configuring a standalone CPU server]
page.   As I changed two factors in a time, I still have some doubt about the procedure
I did...

One is
>! echo blahblahblah >/dev/sdC0/nvram.
The other is
>! disk/kfscmd 'listen il!*!17008'

The reason of the first change was that I had no /dev/sdC0/nvram, so
I wanted to use /n/a:/plan9.nvr on auth/kfs machine?   It seems it works.
However, for clarify the problem, I made /dev/sdC0/nvram by parting
the swap area had been made before by disk/prep -n /dev/sdC0/plan9
command.  It worked seemlessly.

For the second, I changed the name of /rc/bin/service/_il17008 to
/rc/bin/service/il17008 and omitted the suggested line above in /rc/bin/cpurc.
Then, I renamed back that file,  and maked it live of above disk/kfscmd line
at the last of /rc/bin/cpurc file.

After making it the contents of /adm/keys* to zero, I rebooted the auth/kfs
server, and entering some information for factotum, and auth/changeuser
for every users on the machine, all the problems have gone.   Now, I'm
enjoying Auth/kfs server and two diskless 9 terminals booted from floppy
(those have disks for Win98 and Linux).   Yes, this is very convenient for
home use of Plan 9 like myself.

I recommend this configuration to all the people who want to use Plan 9
at home.  In the case of just standalone 9 terminal with disk(kfs), we can't
use factotum, and it's not enough to keep privacy in home. ☺  For this
two PCs configuration, you need only one additional machine dedicated
to Plan 9 Auth/kfs server.  The other 9 terminals are hired from another
machine ususally working for Win etc without any change to them, just
booting them from Plan 9 boot floppy for use 9pc.

Thank you again, Dave Presotto!

Kenji

PS I suppose plan9.nvr in booting floppy of Auth/kfs server can replace the
/dev/sdC0/nvram subpartition.  Am I wrong?

* Re: [9fans] Intel 82810-DC100 card and two PCs configuration
@ 2002-11-11  2:03 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2002-11-11  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> If you're trying to dhcp off the network, the auth/kfs
> server and diskless terminal have to be on the same
> local network, and there can't be another dhcp server
> that will respond to the booting terminal.

In my home, I have only three machines, one for Win98, one for
RedHat Linux and the last for Plan 9 auth/kfs server.  All those
machines are within one network.

I followed the description of Wiki, and got half success booting
9pc termianl on the Win98/Linux machine using 9pc kernel.
I can boot diskless terminal when I got 9pc from the booting
floppy.   However, I failed to get the 9pc kernel from the net.
After running 9load, it waits forever...
In this network, only one dhcp server is running on the auth/kfs
server machine.

One more strange thing is that I can login as various users, but
the user seems to be read only as none on the kfs/auth server.
So, when I copy some file as okamoto (uid 1, instead of tor), the
owner of the file is always 'none'. Furthermore, I was not asked
password for login...  Probably, I'm doing something wrong.
This is my first attempt to use Plan 9 for only two machines...

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] Intel 82810-DC100 card and two PCs configuration
@ 2002-11-11  1:39 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-11-11  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Can the two machine configuration for home as suggested in Wiki,
> auth/kfs server + diskless terminal, work?   I've just tried it last night,
> and got strange behaviour, such that I could not get kernel from
> network etc.

If you're trying to dhcp off the network, the auth/kfs
server and diskless terminal have to be on the same
local network, and there can't be another dhcp server
that will respond to the booting terminal.

Russ

* [9fans] Intel 82810-DC100 card and two PCs configuration
@ 2002-11-11  1:36 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2002-11-11  1:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I tried to use that on-board graphic chips for my Plan 9 terminal
at home.  Yes, it does work (thank you very much who wrote this
driver, Who?), however, I got success for 640x480x8mode, but
failed for 1024x768x8.   Is this the intended nature for this card?
Am I doing something wrong there?