* [9fans] ghostscript suicide while ps2pdf
@ 2007-08-03  9:01 C .Stuelpner
From: C .Stuelpner @ 2007-08-03  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello,

I'm getting the following suicide message from /bin/gs when I'm trying
to convert postscript to PDF (/rc/bin/ps2pdf). pdf2ps doesn't work
also - same error.

 gs 27690: suicide: sys: fp: invalid operation fppc=0xd52cd
status=0xb8a1 pc=0x000d4fc8

 acid: src(0xd4fc8)
 /sys/src/cmd/gs/src/gshtscr.c:561
  556	        return 1;
  557	    }
  558	    /* We displace the sampled coordinates very slightly */
  559	    /* in order to reduce the likely number of points */
  560	    /* for which the spot function returns the same value. */
 >561	    if ((code = gs_point_transform(penum->x + 0.501, penum->y +
0 .498, &penum->mat, &pt)) < 0)
  562	        return code;
  563
  564	    /* find the spot center in device coords : */
  565	    sx = ceil( pt.x / 2 ) * 2;
  566	    sy = ceil( pt.y / 2 ) * 2;

  acid: fpr()
F0	-2.319281e+09
F1	0
F2	0
F3	0
F4	0
F5	0
F6	2.5
F7	.08
control	0x027f
status	0x3821
tag	0x3fff
ip offset	0x000d52cd
cs selector	0x0023
opcode	0x2c70
data operand offset	0xdd28
operand selector	0x001b

Some posting on this list around 12th of May mentions a change of
kill.c in /sys/src/ape/lib/ap/plan9 as an error source. But even if I
revert to the old version of kill.c, re-compiling ape stuff, it
doesn't work.

Has anaybody a work around or better, a solution for this problem?

C. Stuelpner

* [9fans] email issues again
@ 2007-08-03 16:35 ` marina
From: marina @ 2007-08-03 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi All:

I know i have asked about this before but i have forgotten what needs
to be done to get mail working on a simple plan9 terminal.

I am getting the common 'cs can't translate service (net!$smtp)' in
/sys/log/smtp.fail when i try to send mail.

/lib/ndb/local contains the following lines

ip=127.0.0.1 sys=localhost dom=localhost

sys=mbrown dom=mycompany.com ether=00b0d0454f87

ipnet=mynetwork ipmask=255.0.0.0
 	dns=207.226.249.35
 	dns=63.216.0.5
 	dnsdomain=mycompany.net
 	smtp=mx.e271.net

The terminal recieves an ip address by dncp and mx.e271.net will relay
for my box but recieves no contact.

Any hints ?

--- Marina Brown (Back after a bit of a respite)

* Re: [9fans] email issues again
@ 2007-08-03 17:34           ` john
From: john @ 2007-08-03 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Right, if you don't have a cpu server life will be less pleasant in
> many respects, including mail.  Given all the virtual machine
> technologies available, everybody should be able to run cpu and file
> servers.

So what exactly happens when I try to send mail from my terminal,
which connects to the cpu server for file and authentication? Does
the message actually get sent from the cpu server, or from the terminal?

John

* Re: [9fans] email issues again
@ 2007-08-03 23:00   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2007-08-03 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

you've tried telnet tcp!mx.e271.net!smtp to verify that you can
get packets through?

i think that mail support on a terminal will be left wanting.  upas
depends on cron.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] email issues again
@ 2007-08-03 23:08     ` geoff
From: geoff @ 2007-08-03 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

We send mail from terminals all the time.  cron is a backup, to run
the queues to retry mail that didn't get delivered on the first
atttempt.

* Re: [9fans] email issues again
@ 2007-08-03 23:12       ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2007-08-03 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> We send mail from terminals all the time.  cron is a backup, to run
> the queues to retry mail that didn't get delivered on the first
> atttempt.

not everone has a cpu server.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] email issues again
@ 2007-08-03 23:20         ` geoff
From: geoff @ 2007-08-03 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2007-08-03 23:52             ` geoff
From: geoff @ 2007-08-03 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Our terminals queue outgoing messages and attempt to send them
directly, which usually succeeds.  Any messages that can't be sent
immediately are left in the queue and retried on a cpu server from
cron periodically.  It doesn't matter much what machine sends the
message; they all appear to come from plan9.bell-labs.com.