* [9fans] Partitioning the disk
@ 2014-04-01 21:54 Szymon Olewniczak
From: Szymon Olewniczak @ 2014-04-01 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi,
As I cannot force plan 9 to use my sata disk, I've decided to buy a sata to usb convertor.
After compiling the usb tools on 9atom, I can find my disk under /dev/sdU1.0 and now is the time to
prepare the disk partitions in order to install plan 9. Disk which I want to use isn't empty
(it contains some of ext4s and swap) but I want to format the entire disk. In 9atom doc's pages
I've found some example how to initialize the blank disk:

Initialize the blank disk /dev/sdC0/data.
	disk/mbr –m /386/mbr /dev/sdC0/data
disk/fdisk –baw /dev/sdC0/data
disk/prep –bw –a^(9fat nvram fossil cache swap) /dev/sdC0/plan9
disk/format –b /386/pbslba –d –r 2 /dev/sdC0/9fat \
	/386/9load /386/9pcf /tmp/plan9.ini

And my question is: is it enough to create partitons for plan 9 installation? What sizes would have
9fat, nvram, fossil, cache and swap partitons? What should I do next after partitoning disk in order
to install plan 9 on it?

BTW. If there is any method to compile all the 9atom sources at once(simpler that writting rc script)?

BR,
Szymon

* Re: [9fans] Partitioning the disk
@ 2014-04-02 14:28 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-04-02 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> As I cannot force plan 9 to use my sata disk, I've decided to buy a sata to usb convertor.
> After compiling the usb tools on 9atom, I can find my disk under /dev/sdU1.0 and now is the time to
> prepare the disk partitions in order to install plan 9. Disk which I want to use isn't empty
> (it contains some of ext4s and swap) but I want to format the entire disk. In 9atom doc's pages
> I've found some example how to initialize the blank disk:
>
> Initialize the blank disk /dev/sdC0/data.
> 	disk/mbr –m /386/mbr /dev/sdC0/data
> disk/fdisk –baw /dev/sdC0/data
> disk/prep –bw –a^(9fat nvram fossil cache swap) /dev/sdC0/plan9
> disk/format –b /386/pbslba –d –r 2 /dev/sdC0/9fat \
> 	/386/9load /386/9pcf /tmp/plan9.ini

unfortunately usb disk devices are not directly partitionable.
this can be solved on 9atom with sdloop

	addloop u /dev/sdU1.0/data

this will create /dev/sdu0/^(ctl data) which you can then partition
with diskparts.  (if using the standard distribution use diskparts(8) and
the file will be /dev/sdXX/data)

if you do a pull as glenda, or alternately

	mount /srv/boot /n/root &&
		9fs atom &&
		disk/mkfs -vkU -s /n/atom/plan9^`{pwd} -d . <{echo +}

you can then try "mkusbboot -p `{echo +}".  this may actually work.
let me know if it has not, as i haven't had a chance to test it.

> BTW. If there is any method to compile all the 9atom sources at once(simpler that writting rc script)?

cd /sys/src; mk install && mk clean

there is not enough room on the usb key to install all.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Partitioning the disk
@ 2014-04-02 21:48   ` Szymon Olewniczak
From: Szymon Olewniczak @ 2014-04-02 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> if you do a pull as glenda, or alternately
>
> 	mount /srv/boot /n/root &&
> 		9fs atom &&
> 		disk/mkfs -vkU -s /n/atom/plan9^`{pwd} -d . <{echo +}
>
> you can then try "mkusbboot -p `{echo +}".  this may actually work.
	srv: dial tcp!atom.9atom.org!fs: cs: can't translate address: '/srv/dns' file
	does not exist.
It seems to me like an issue with internet connection. Am I right?
One more question to this command. You've used pwd in it, so what directory should I be in, in
order to run command successfully? Why do I need to run this first mount command(the /n/root seems
to be used nowhere)?

> there is not enough room on the usb key to install all.
The other problem is that after compiling usb and all it dependences when I've rebooted
the plan 9 atom all programs disappeared and I've needed to compile them again. Is there any method to
make the changes to the disk persistent?

* Re: [9fans] Partitioning the disk
@ 2014-04-02 22:02     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-04-02 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed Apr  2 17:49:51 EDT 2014, szymon.olewniczak@rid.pl wrote:
> > if you do a pull as glenda, or alternately
> >
> > 	mount /srv/boot /n/root &&
> > 		9fs atom &&
> > 		disk/mkfs -vkU -s /n/atom/plan9^`{pwd} -d . <{echo +}
> >
> > you can then try "mkusbboot -p `{echo +}".  this may actually work.
> 	srv: dial tcp!atom.9atom.org!fs: cs: can't translate address: '/srv/dns' file
> 	does not exist.
> It seems to me like an issue with internet connection. Am I right?
> One more question to this command. You've used pwd in it, so what directory should I be in, in
> order to run command successfully? Why do I need to run this first mount command(the /n/root seems
> to be used nowhere)?

yes.  you can either run ndb/dns -r and ndb/cs and then try again, or replace
"9fs atom" with

	attaip=208.71.233.235
	nflag=-n
	srv $nflag -q tcp!$attaip atom &&
		mount $nflag /srv/atom /n/atom atom

> > there is not enough room on the usb key to install all.
> The other problem is that after compiling usb and all it dependences when I've rebooted
> the plan 9 atom all programs disappeared and I've needed to compile them again. Is there any method to
> make the changes to the disk persistent?

changes to the disk are persistent.  i suspect the executables are
misplaced.  are you booting from the hard drive?

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Partitioning the disk
@ 2014-04-03 18:08       ` Szymon Olewniczak
From: Szymon Olewniczak @ 2014-04-03 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, Apr 02, 2014 at 06:02:23PM -0400, erik quanstrom wrote:
> On Wed Apr  2 17:49:51 EDT 2014, szymon.olewniczak@rid.pl wrote:
> > > if you do a pull as glenda, or alternately
> > >
> > > 	mount /srv/boot /n/root &&
> > > 		9fs atom &&
> > > 		disk/mkfs -vkU -s /n/atom/plan9^`{pwd} -d . <{echo +}
> > >
> > > you can then try "mkusbboot -p `{echo +}".  this may actually work.
> > 	srv: dial tcp!atom.9atom.org!fs: cs: can't translate address: '/srv/dns' file
> > 	does not exist.
> > It seems to me like an issue with internet connection. Am I right?
> > One more question to this command. You've used pwd in it, so what directory should I be in, in
> > order to run command successfully? Why do I need to run this first mount command(the /n/root seems
> > to be used nowhere)?
>
> yes.  you can either run ndb/dns -r and ndb/cs and then try again, or replace
> "9fs atom" with
>
> 	attaip=208.71.233.235
> 	nflag=-n
> 	srv $nflag -q tcp!$attaip atom &&
> 		mount $nflag /srv/atom /n/atom atom
But my ethernet device probably is not recognised. When I run ip/ipconfig I get:
	ipconfig: /net/ipifc/clone: bind ether /net/ether0: '/net/ether0' cs: file does not exist

It looks to me like the need of ordering a new ethernet card. I will try to order 8169 as you've recomended
and try to connect to the internet again.

> > > there is not enough room on the usb key to install all.
> > The other problem is that after compiling usb and all it dependences when I've rebooted
> > the plan 9 atom all programs disappeared and I've needed to compile them again. Is there any method to
> > make the changes to the disk persistent?
>
> changes to the disk are persistent.  i suspect the executables are
> misplaced.  are you booting from the hard drive?
I'm booting from pendirve which I've setuped as you described earlier(using dd). Maybe it's happening becouse
I turn off my computer by pressing power button.
How can I turn off plan9 in a clear way?

@ 2014-04-03 18:13         ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-04-03 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > > The other problem is that after compiling usb and all it
> > > dependences when I've rebooted the plan 9 atom all programs
> > > disappeared and I've needed to compile them again.  Is there any
> > > method to make the changes to the disk persistent?
> > >
> > changes to the disk are persistent.  i suspect the executables are
> > misplaced.  are you booting from the hard drive?
> I'm booting from pendirve which I've setuped as you described
> earlier(using dd).  Maybe it's happening becouse I turn off my
> computer by pressing power button.  How can I turn off plan9 in a
> clear way?

yup. i'll bet you compiled on the hard drive, and that's where the
executables are.  try booting without the pen drive.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Partitioning the disk
@ 2014-04-03 18:22         ` Alexander Kapshuk
From: Alexander Kapshuk @ 2014-04-03 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On 04/03/2014 09:08 PM, Szymon Olewniczak wrote:

>>> 	srv: dial tcp!atom.9atom.org!fs: cs: can't translate address: '/srv/dns' file
>>> 	does not exist.
>>> It seems to me like an issue with internet connection. Am I right?
>>> One more question to this command. You've used pwd in it, so what directory should I be in, in
>>> order to run command successfully? Why do I need to run this first mount command(the /n/root seems
>>> to be used nowhere)?
>> yes.  you can either run ndb/dns -r and ndb/cs and then try again, or replace
>> "9fs atom" with
>>
>> 	attaip=208.71.233.235
>> 	nflag=-n
>> 	srv $nflag -q tcp!$attaip atom &&
>> 		mount $nflag /srv/atom /n/atom atom
> But my ethernet device probably is not recognised. When I run ip/ipconfig I get:
> 	ipconfig: /net/ipifc/clone: bind ether /net/ether0: '/net/ether0' cs: file does not exist
>
> It looks to me like the need of ordering a new ethernet card. I will try to order 8169 as you've recomended
> and try to connect to the internet again.

>>> The other problem is that after compiling usb and all it dependences when I've rebooted
>>> the plan 9 atom all programs disappeared and I've needed to compile them again. Is there any method to
>>> make the changes to the disk persistent?
>> changes to the disk are persistent.  i suspect the executables are
>> misplaced.  are you booting from the hard drive?
> I'm booting from pendirve which I've setuped as you described earlier(using dd). Maybe it's happening becouse
> I turn off my computer by pressing power button.
> How can I turn off plan9 in a clear way?
>
> BR,
> Szymon

fshalt(8).

* Re: [9fans] Partitioning the disk
@ 2014-04-03 18:24           ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-04-03 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> fshalt(8).

absolutely not needed in this case.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Partitioning the disk
@ 2014-04-03 18:25           ` Szymon Olewniczak
From: Szymon Olewniczak @ 2014-04-03 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, Apr 03, 2014 at 02:13:10PM -0400, erik quanstrom wrote:

> > > changes to the disk are persistent.  i suspect the executables are
> > > misplaced.  are you booting from the hard drive?
> > I'm booting from pendirve which I've setuped as you described
> > earlier(using dd).  Maybe it's happening becouse I turn off my
> > computer by pressing power button.  How can I turn off plan9 in a
> > clear way?
>
> yup. i'll bet you compiled on the hard drive, and that's where the
> executables are.  try booting without the pen drive.
No sadly it isn't true. But my question is: do I need the Internet
connection in order to mount atom image or can I install plan9 on my USB
disk without it?

@ 2014-04-03 18:30             ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-04-03 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > yup. i'll bet you compiled on the hard drive, and that's where the
> > executables are.  try booting without the pen drive.
> No sadly it isn't true. But my question is: do I need the Internet
> connection in order to mount atom image or can I install plan9 on my USB
> disk without it?

i think it's more likely that they're in an location you're not
expecting.  then again, i've never installed to a usb disk.
at a minimum, you'll need to edit plan9.ini by hand.

you do not need an internet connection.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Partitioning the disk
@ 2014-04-06 19:21               ` Szymon Olewniczak
From: Szymon Olewniczak @ 2014-04-06 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, Apr 03, 2014 at 02:30:02PM -0400, erik quanstrom wrote:
> > > yup. i'll bet you compiled on the hard drive, and that's where the
> > > executables are.  try booting without the pen drive.
> > No sadly it isn't true. But my question is: do I need the Internet
> > connection in order to mount atom image or can I install plan9 on my USB
> > disk without it?
>
> i think it's more likely that they're in an location you're not
> expecting.  then again, i've never installed to a usb disk.
> at a minimum, you'll need to edit plan9.ini by hand.
>
> you do not need an internet connection.

So maybe I should try something diffirent. I come up into idea to boot
plan9 from the network disk. Wouldn't the Linux workstation with the 9p
be enough to store all the plan9 files?

@ 2014-04-07 18:18             ` Szymon Olewniczak
From: Szymon Olewniczak @ 2014-04-07 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi,
I've bought a new ethernet card and finally I've the internet connection working :)
However, I'm still having problems with disk partitoning. I'm trying to initalize blank disk
as I have mentioned before(following preg(8) example) , using loopback as the erick suggested.
But I don't have any files such as:
/386/mbr
/386/9pcf
Where can I find them?

@ 2014-04-07 20:05               ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-04-07 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> /386/mbr
> /386/9pcf

for pcf "cd /sys/src/9/pc; mk 'CONF=pcf' install".

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Partitioning the disk
@ 2014-04-10 20:23                 ` Szymon Olewniczak
From: Szymon Olewniczak @ 2014-04-10 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I've some more questions to partitoning process in Plan9, I hope that after
solving them I will finally manage to partiton my disk successfully:

1. After mounting usb disk with addloop, there is no file /dev/sdU1.0/plan9. How
can I create plan9 partion table?

2. What does diskparts(8), actually do? Does it create partitons on phisical disk?

3. Is the inst/textonly avalible in 9atom or is it obsolete?

4. This whole partiton process seems very strange to me. How can I determine partiton
sizes during partinoning? Which files go where(as I can see there are at least two partition
types: fossil and 9fat)?

5. Thank you very much erik for your help but could you give me a little descripton on what
does the commands you've provided me supose to do?

Sorry, if this questions are to obvious to you but as a newbie I don't understand plan9
fully. I can already feel its power but I'm sitll not able to use it.

@ 2014-04-10 20:53                   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-04-10 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> 1. After mounting usb disk with addloop, there is no file /dev/sdU1.0/plan9. How
> can I create plan9 partion table?
>
> 2. What does diskparts(8), actually do? Does it create partitons on phisical disk?

diskparts reads existing paritition information from the disk, it does not write anything.

amd it's just a short rc(1) script, that typically runs "disk/fdisk -p data>ctl",
 and "disk/prep -p plan9>ctl".  with this setup prep is subpartitioning the
plan 9 partition.

it's worth a read.

> 3. Is the inst/textonly avalible in 9atom or is it obsolete?

textonly is not available in the 9atom usb install, but that doesn't mean it's
obsolete.

> 4. This whole partiton process seems very strange to me. How can I determine partiton
> sizes during partinoning? Which files go where(as I can see there are at least two partition
> types: fossil and 9fat)?

both prep and fdisk take the "p" command which will print the current partition info.
prep(8) is a good reference.  btw, "fossil" and "9fat" are not partition types.  prep doesn't
use that concept.  they are partition names, and by convention they have the obvious use.

> 5. Thank you very much erik for your help but could you give me a little descripton on what
> does the commands you've provided me supose to do?
>
> Sorry, if this questions are to obvious to you but as a newbie I don't understand plan9
> fully. I can already feel its power but I'm sitll not able to use it.

i lost the context here, sorry.

- erik