* Re: [9fans] I'm up and running - well maybe walking
@ 2001-05-08 14:02 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-05-08 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

the CD is 0729.
although i could probably generate a single update pack, i've
been working on updating the CD.
the good news is that i made a test version for a new CD for 0327 the week before last but
the bad news is there were more changes, so i'll need to add those in.
it takes simply ages to build the CD image.  i don't know why.
it was faster before.
i'll run iostats the next time to see what it reveals.

anyway, the updates you need are:

07291014.9gz
10140327.9gz
03270425a.9gz
03270507.9gz

i'll have this information added to our web site.

>>I presume that once patched I won't get :
>># disk/kfscmd listen
>>kfscmd: command listen not recognised

yes, that's right.  that was in the 10140327.9gz pack.

* Re[2]: [9fans] I'm up and running - well maybe walking
@ 2001-05-08 15:42 ` Matt H
From: Matt H @ 2001-05-08 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: forsyth@caldo.demon.co.uk

I installed a later copy of wrap, presuming it would be backwards
compatible. Was that a mistake?

%wrap/inst /tmp/07291014.9gz
(after doing it once already on the terminal I tried it on the
console)

skipping /wrap/plan9/971556349/update: locally created
skipping /wrap/plan9/971556349/package: locally created
skipping /wrap/plan9/971556349/desc: locally created
skipping /wrap/plan9/971556349/proto: locally created
skipping /wrap/plan9/971556349/md5sum: locally created
wstat /fd: permission denied
wstat /mail/fs: permission denied
skipping /mail/lib/rewrite: locally updated
skipping /386/bin/wrap/create: locally updated
skipping /386/bin/wrap/info: locally updated
skipping /386/bin/wrap/inst: locally updated
skipping /386/bin/wrap/wdiff: locally updated
wstat /fd: permission denied
wstat /mnt/term: bad character in file name
wstat /mnt/wsys: permission denied
wstat /mnt/wrap: bad character in file name
wstat /n/termrc.tmp: bad character in file name
wstat /n/kfs: bad character in file name
mkdir /n/ftp: write to hungup channel
skipping /rc/bin/cpurc: locally updated
skipping /rc/bin/termrc: locally updated
skipping /sys/src/9/pc/pccpudisk: locally updated
skipping /sys/src/9/pc/pcdisk: locally updated
wrap/wdiff -r / /tmp/07291014.9gz \
        /wrap/plan9/971556349/update \
        /wrap/plan9/971556349/package \
        /wrap/plan9/971556349/desc \
        /wrap/plan9/971556349/proto \
        /wrap/plan9/971556349/md5sum \
        /mail/lib/rewrite \
        /386/bin/wrap/create \
        /386/bin/wrap/info \
        /386/bin/wrap/inst \
        /386/bin/wrap/wdiff \
        /rc/bin/cpurc \
        /rc/bin/termrc \
        /sys/src/9/pc/pccpudisk \
        /sys/src/9/pc/p
        cdisk \

and then, obviously, all the other updates fail.

er, should I just start again with a modern download :-)
--
Best regards,
 Matt                            mailto:matt@proweb.co.uk

* Re[2]: [9fans] I'm up and running - well maybe walking
@ 2001-05-08 16:20 ` matt
From: matt @ 2001-05-08 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: forsyth@caldo.demon.co.uk

wrap/inst /tmp/10140327.9gz
wrap/inst: need Sat Oct 14 16:45:49 EDT 2000 version of plan9 already installed

--
Best regards,
 matt                            mailto:matt@proweb.co.uk

* Re: Re[2]: [9fans] I'm up and running - well maybe walking
@ 2001-05-08 15:55 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-05-08 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>er, should I just start again with a modern download :-)

no, that shouldn't be required.  you're right that an important
point i didn't mention was to update the wrap software, if required,
as mentioned on the plan 9 update page.

if that was the result of a second run, it looks reasonable to me,
assuming you've configured cpurc, termrc, /mail/lib/rewrite and reconfigured pccpudisk etc,
so that `locally updated' is correct.

one other point is that it can be helpful to do
	9fs boot
	install/inst -r /n/boot ...
to avoid problems with directories such as /fd, /mail/fs, /mnt/* which can
have things mounted on them (and will refuse wstat).

>>and then, obviously, all the other updates fail.

that's less obvious.  what are those diagnostics (briefly)?