* [9fans] An announcement and a question
@ 2008-09-24 22:34 Roman Shaposhnik
From: Roman Shaposhnik @ 2008-09-24 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

First of all, if you happen to be around San Francisco Bay Area
on Sep 30, you might be interested in joining an unconference
that is being hosted at Sun's campus where I work:
   http://cloudcamp-silicon-valley-08.eventbrite.com/
In fact, if there's enough interest we can meet early and I can
give the interested parties the tour of the campus combined
with some Java (the good kind) and chatting.

Now, why is this relevant to 9fans? One word: 9grid.
Well, better yet two words: Elastic 9grid(*). If you're
still not convinced -- drop by and ask me in person ;-)

So that's the announcement part. Now the question: is there
a piece of software already available that would act
like an adapter between NFS clients and 9P servers with
the reasonable set of assumptions in place about how
to actually make this combination work for existing
NFS client implementations? Of course, given the differences
between 9P and NFS, I don't expect just about any 9P
server to be NFS-mountable, so lets say that all I really
care about is exportfs(4) 9P server. IOW, POSIX filesystem
being exported over 9P.

Thanks,
Roman.

P.S. The unconference and getting together earlier are independent
events. You are supposed to register for the former and drop
me an email for the latter to happen.

(*) http://aws.amazon.com/

* Re: [9fans] An announcement and a question
@ 2008-09-24 23:09 ` a
From: a @ 2008-09-24 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

// ...is there a piece of software already available
// that would act like an adapter between NFS
// clients and 9P servers...

nfsserver(8) might work for you: it'll grab a 9p server
and export it over nfs, allowing clients with no "special"
software to mount it. it used to do auth, but it was a
hack (as all nfs auth must be), so was removed; now it
just treats everyone as none, if i remember right.

* Re: [9fans] An announcement and a question
@ 2008-09-25 15:01   ` Roman Shaposhnik
From: Roman Shaposhnik @ 2008-09-25 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, 2008-09-24 at 19:09 -0400, a@9srv.net wrote:
> // ...is there a piece of software already available
> // that would act like an adapter between NFS
> // clients and 9P servers...
>
> nfsserver(8) might work for you: it'll grab a 9p server
> and export it over nfs, allowing clients with no "special"
> software to mount it. it used to do auth, but it was a
> hack (as all nfs auth must be), so was removed; now it
> just treats everyone as none, if i remember right.

Perfect! That sounds like exactly the right place for me
to start looking. And thanks for setting me straight: somehow
I have always thought that nfsserver(8) was implemented
using open/read/write/etc. but now I see that it really
does generate 9P messages.

Thanks,
Roman.