* [9fans] Inspiron 3500 - Hangs on reboot after install
@ 2002-04-08 13:01 Tom Olson
From: Tom Olson @ 2002-04-08 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

This is my first install of plan9, but I ran the installation to
completion and set it so it would reboot from the plan9 partition,
which is the entire disk. When I reboot, I get to the point where it
displays the size of the swap space and the screen freezes with a
blinking cursor. I do not see any messages that indicate a problem, it
found the pcmcia Ethernet, a netgear FA411, and the link light is lit.

I rebooted the install boot disk and created a floppy boot disk, just
to see if it acted differently. When I reboot from the floppy boot
disk, it hangs in the same place with the same messages.

I also recreated the install boot disk and went through the install
process again, with the same results.

I don't know what to do next. Can anyone help with some suggestions on
how to proceed?

Thanks.

* [9fans] Re: Inspiron 3500 - Hangs on reboot after install
@ 2002-04-09  9:17 ` Don
From: Don @ 2002-04-09  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Tom Olson <tjolson@bellatlantic.net> wrote in message news:<1260c5bb.0204071709.1f9c2d14@posting.google.com>...
> This is my first install of plan9, but I ran the installation to
> completion and set it so it would reboot from the plan9 partition,
> which is the entire disk. When I reboot, I get to the point where it
> displays the size of the swap space and the screen freezes with a
> blinking cursor.
Hola!
    Check out http://www.7f.no-ip.info/7f/plan9/hang.html
     or (if thats down from my current tests..)
    http://blessedchildren.virtualave.net/plan9/486.html

    I originally advertised this as a 486 issue, however, since
that post the situation has come up on several other processers.
Pentium, Pentium II, etc seem to be affected as well. Its just
a simple interrupt hack.
Don
north_@www.7f.no-ip.biz
http://www.7f.no-ip.org/

* [9fans] Re: Inspiron 3500 - Hangs on reboot after install
@ 2002-04-09  9:17 ` Tom Olson
From: Tom Olson @ 2002-04-09  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Problem solved, once I removed the the audio keyword from the plan9.ini file.

Tom Olson <tjolson@bellatlantic.net> wrote in message news:<1260c5bb.0204071709.1f9c2d14@posting.google.com>...
> This is my first install of plan9, but I ran the installation to
> completion and set it so it would reboot from the plan9 partition,
> which is the entire disk. When I reboot, I get to the point where it
> displays the size of the swap space and the screen freezes with a
> blinking cursor. I do not see any messages that indicate a problem, it
> found the pcmcia Ethernet, a netgear FA411, and the link light is lit.
>
> I rebooted the install boot disk and created a floppy boot disk, just
> to see if it acted differently. When I reboot from the floppy boot
> disk, it hangs in the same place with the same messages.
>
> I also recreated the install boot disk and went through the install
> process again, with the same results.
>
> I don't know what to do next. Can anyone help with some suggestions on
> how to proceed?
>
> Thanks.

* Re: [9fans] Re: Inspiron 3500 - Hangs on reboot after install
@ 2002-04-11  8:43 ` Don
From: Don @ 2002-04-11  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> What did your audio line say?
> It is very puzzling to me that audio initialization
> would make the whole system hang.
>
> What kind of audio card do you have?
As an FYI, I've had this issue occur on several
laptops. It seems to happen in conjunction with
the interrupt bug and may actually be the cause
of it in some cases. When a machine has both
an audio card to be probed and an ether card
(such as a ne2000 or ec2t) probe requested there
may be a collision in i/o space at 0x300. Certain
audio cards that I have seen on my laptops
maintain an i/o address range at 0x300 -> 0x301.
Because this conflicts with the default config on
the pcmcia the OS may be writing data meant for
the pcmcia into port 0x300. Because the audio
device receives the data rather than the ether and
does not send an interrupt in response, the machine
may hang waiting for the response. Manifesting an
interrupt via print() or some other means seems to
pacify the OS in these situations as has been shown
before. For people who experience odd messages like
"unknown interrupt '#A'" or whatever, this may be
the cause. I'm not deft enough to solve this issue
..yet, but, maybe this is sufficient direction for
someone who is? In all my cases altering the audio
IRQ at the BIOS or via plan9.ini would do nothing.
However, disabling the ess device that maintained
i/o space at 0x300 did immediately solve the hang.
Don
http://www.7f.no-ip.info/

* Re: [9fans] Re: Inspiron 3500 - Hangs on reboot after install
@ 2002-04-10  9:40 ` Holly Olson
From: Holly Olson @ 2002-04-10  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I had a boot disk that had an ess 1688 entry on the audio line for
another earlier try on a different laptop. I'm not exactly sure what the
Inspiron audio is implemented as, other than it's SB-compatible.
I thought it was odd that the boot would hang over audio, but I was
happier to lose the audio and complete the boot. When I get a spare
moment, I'm curious enough to go back and replace the audio entry with
the sb option and see what happens.

* Re: [9fans] Re: Inspiron 3500 - Hangs on reboot after install
@ 2002-04-09 14:09 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-04-09 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans