* [9fans] IP stack nat
@ 2006-08-17  8:55 tt.gustavsson
From: tt.gustavsson @ 2006-08-17  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Good day

My first steps to building a NAT/NAPT
I am trying to understand how the plan9 ip-stack works.

This is what I am trying to do:

I have three ethernet cards in my machine:

Card1:  Local address for plan 9 services

Card 2: local gateway for the boxes that dont use plan9

Card 3: Connection to the internet

Each ethernet interface will have a separate ip-stack

Doing like this I hope to separate plan9 services from the gateway,
to make my environment fairly secure.

Plan9 will not use the gateway interface, I will just import the internet interface when I want to access the outside world from the
plan9 machines.

If I open the data file in the gateway stack /net.gw/ipifc/0/data
from my initial NAT program,
it seems that I don't get any packets on that interface when
I try to access some outside ip-address from the non-plan9 machines.

I tried to set up a packet interface on /net.gw/ipifc/1 ,
and added iproutinng to this stack, and when I try to ping this new
interface, from a non-plan9 machine with the gateway set /net.gw/ipifc/0

I get ping reply, but the /net.gw/1/data is also silent.

I might have totally misunderstood something here?

Any suggestions

btw: When I send mail to this list i get the signature <my name> at bredband.net, and gets a lot of spam, is there a way to hide this information?

Thanks

/Tony, Sweden