* [9fans] Wireless cards
@ 2008-12-15  9:55 theotherjimmy
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: theotherjimmy @ 2008-12-15  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello,

I was wondering if Plan 9 supports wireless Ethernet in its current
state. If it does (and I just can't find it), could you please give me
a link to follow. If it does not, I guess I will just begin to analyze
my current wireless driver (for Linux) madwifi.

Thank you for reading my first post,
Jimmy

* Re: [9fans] Wireless cards
@ 2008-12-15 15:38 ` Devon H. O'Dell
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Devon H. O'Dell @ 2008-12-15 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

2008/12/15  <theotherjimmy@gmail.com>:
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if Plan 9 supports wireless Ethernet in its current
> state. If it does (and I just can't find it), could you please give me
> a link to follow. If it does not, I guess I will just begin to analyze
> my current wireless driver (for Linux) madwifi.

Please see the wiki:
http://www.plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Supported_PC_hardware/index.html

> Thank you for reading my first post,
> Jimmy

--dho

* Re: [9fans] Wireless cards
@ 2008-12-15 17:37 ` a
From: a @ 2008-12-15 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Yes, see the supported hardware page Devon linked. In
summary: we have a few, not many. We could certainly
use more. We have enough that you can likely find one
that works, but not enough that what you happen to
already have already works (unless you're like me, and
haven't bought a wi-fi card since the Orinoco).
Anthony

* Re: [9fans] Wireless cards
@ 2008-12-15 17:44 ` Sergey Zhilkin
From: Sergey Zhilkin @ 2008-12-15 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi !

As far as I know, madwifi is a driver fot atheros based WiFi Ethernet.

Atheros is unsupported by Plan9 :(

For start -
http://groups.google.ru/group/comp.os.plan9/browse_thread/thread/9ddd97114994fdbb?pli=1

--
С Уважением
Жилкин Сергей

* Re: [9fans] Wireless cards
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-12-16  9:46 ` theotherjimmy
From: theotherjimmy @ 2008-12-16  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Dec 15, 11:47О©╫am, szhil...@gmail.com (Sergey Zhilkin) wrote:
> Hi !
>
> As far as I know, madwifi is a driver fot atheros based WiFi Ethernet.

sorry for not posting more information; I have an Atheros based pcmcia
card.

> Atheros is unsupported by Plan9 :(

I will begin porting madwifi because I have more time than money and I
think others will benefit.

> --
> ? ?????????
> ?????? ??????

With unwarranted high hopes,
jimmy

* Re: [9fans] Wireless cards
@ 2008-12-16 10:52   ` Roman Zhukov
From: Roman Zhukov @ 2008-12-16 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

>> --
>> ? ?????????
>> ?????? ??????

Sergey's signature is in KOI8 encoding, not in UTF-8. What a shame! )

--
Roma

* Re: [9fans] Wireless cards
@ 2008-12-16 11:59   ` Sergey Zhilkin
From: Sergey Zhilkin @ 2008-12-16 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> I will begin porting madwifi because I have more time than money and I
> think others will benefit.

COOL !!! :)

--
С наилучшими пожеланиями