* [9fans] who can write venti archives?
@ 2003-12-11 10:44 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2003-12-11 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Today, I found I'm not clear who writes archive files
to venti.

In the Ken's file server, we have a different kernal for file
server, and I didn't bother with this question.   It may also
be fault either, I don't know.

In the fossil+venti case, venti and fossil processes are running
as a user process, which means there is a real person who
has limited previlege of course, and then, s/he has no permission
to some files or directories.   How s/he can makes store those
files/directories to venti archives?

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] who can write venti archives?
@ 2003-12-11 13:23 ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2003-12-11 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

the user running fossil needs permssion to read and write
the fossil disk partition, and do whatever is required
(typically connect over the network) to venti, if that's being used.

fossil then imposes access restrictions on its
clients when they access files through 9P connections,
including connections by the user running fossil (who has
no extra permissions when accessing that file system structure)

venti currently imposes few restrictions, except that
clients need to know the protocol and some scores (to read).
to secure the fossil+venti combination to a level
similar to the old file server you'd probably want
to prohibit all but fossil and authsrv-related connections
to the file serving machine; in particular venti wouldn't
appear directly on the network.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2413 bytes --]

From: okamoto@granite.cias.osakafu-u.ac.jp
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] who can write venti archives?
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 19:44:59 +0900

@ 2003-12-11 14:20   ` Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2003-12-11 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> to prohibit all but fossil and authsrv-related connections
> to the file serving machine; in particular venti wouldn't
> appear directly on the network.

What we do, in case that helps, is to make venti listen only in
a loopback interface, so that at least you have to log into the
file server to connect to venti. Later, fossil listens on the network
for foreigners to mount it.

hth

* Re: [9fans] who can write venti archives?
@ 2003-12-12  2:03   ` okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2003-12-12  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Thanks Charles and nemo.

I prefer nemo's suggestion, but I have only very limited
knowledge on this region, and forget my feeling.

Anyway, now I have a right sight for venti+fossil.

Then, I have one more question.

The user who make the fossil run is the host owner of that machine,
and then have read/write permission to the disk(s).  It's Ok, however,
s/he has no read permission of some files or directories.  Nevertheless,
fossil can manage all the files of the server.   How s/he can do it?

@ 2003-12-12  3:19     ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-12-12  3:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Thanks Charles and nemo.
>
> I prefer nemo's suggestion, but I have only very limited
> knowledge on this region, and forget my feeling.
>
> Anyway, now I have a right sight for venti+fossil.
>
> Then, I have one more question.
>
> The user who make the fossil run is the host owner of that machine,
> and then have read/write permission to the disk(s).  It's Ok, however,
> s/he has no read permission of some files or directories.  Nevertheless,
> fossil can manage all the files of the server.   How s/he can do it?

The file server enforces permissions when serving the file system
to other users.  The file server itself can look at anything, because
it can look at the raw disk.

It's the same reason that the old worm file server (or any file server!)
can access any of the files -- it just works on the disk blocks.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] who can write venti archives?
@ 2003-12-12  4:03       ` okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2003-12-12  4:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>The file server itself can look at anything, because
> it can look at the raw disk.

I see!
Thank you very much Russ.
Now, I can endorse to use fossil+Venti file server at my home, too.

Kenji